Can you use the same toys in the lake AND your pool?

albow

May 27, 2020
Alabama
I've been told you can't but is this an urban myth? I tried searching with no luck. If the answer is supposedly no, what if the toys were used in the lake last summer and have been just sitting dry since? Would that make a difference? I'm guessing there is a risk of introducing algae or something by doing this? Thanks.

Hi albow,

welcome to TFP. Looks like this is your first post!

I haven't thought about that before. I suppose there is a certain risk of introducing algae. But if your chlorine levels are according to TFP's FC/CYA-chart, then remaining spores on your toys shouldn't get a chance to develop. You get spores introduced all the time with leaves, dust, etc. falling into your pool. That's why we stick to the FC/CYA-chart, so that this doesn't turn into an algae bloom.

To be on the safe side, you could take a bucket (or whatever suits the size of your toys) full of water from your pool and add a spoon-full of chlorine to bring it to shock-level and soak your toys in that first. Use PoolMath to calculate how much you need, but it won't be much for a small water volume. You don't want white toys, so don't use too much.

I am also still quite new here, so it might worth waiting for some opinions from more experienced folk.

Have you familiarized yourself already with the TFP-method by going through the Pool School and starting to test your water yourself? That is actually the most important part in preventing algae problems.

Cheers,
mgtfp

Last edited:
Reactions: YippeeSkippy
I'd do the chlorine soak before introducing a lake toy into my pool. There could also be insect eggs as well as algae and fungi on them. Spores are pretty hardy, and sitting dry over the winter won't necessarily kill them. A good soak in chlorinated water will.

Otherwise, keep your lake toys in the lake and not the pool.

Last edited:
Reactions: YippeeSkippy
I wouldn’t take those missile thingy’s in the lake. ;)

But to your real question, I wouldn’t be bothered by doing it.

typical northerner. come'on down south...i reckon you'd change your mind. iffin the snakes and gators don't get you first.

They would get me. I’m a slow swimmer. And not real crazy about lake swimming.

I don't even allow bathing suits go from lake to pool without washing or changing.

So last year I found out that people shower during swim season. This year I Iearn that people wear bathing suits in their pools.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.