Can you use Calcium Chloride with a SWG?

New2SaltH2O

Oct 26, 2020
Maui
I have a 10k gallon pool. It is fiberglass painted with Ramuc Epoxy Pool Paint. I am new to Salt Water Generators. I came across a video that said not to use Calcium Chloride because it will destroy the SWG. Is this true? How do I adjust Calcium if it is?

Sure, calcium chloride is used without problem. We discourage the use of dry acid use instead of muriatic acid as that does mess with SWG cells and plaster pool walls.

I can't say any chemical won't hurt a painted pool surface. Painting pool walls just isn't very successful but will look pretty for a year or two at best. Apparently in the old days the paints used were better (probably outlawed for environmental or health reasons).

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: New2SaltH2O
Welcome to TFP!

To be on the safe side, you can turn your SWG off until all the calcium chloride has been dissolved and is evenly distributed in the whole water volume, to avoid having patches of higher CH going through the active cell, increasing the risk for scaling in the cell.

The point is to have enough Calcium in the water as required for different pool types, but not too much to avoid scaling, esp. in the SWG cell. This depends not just on the CH level itself, but also on other parameters that together determine the CSI, particularly pH.

I suggest to get started by reading ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and Recommended Levels and

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.