Can you shock with 6% bleach/Other suggestions for high CD?

jshank

Jul 21, 2014
San Jose, CA
I can't seem to keep FC above 0.5 in my 440 gallon spa and decided try shocking it. Can you shock with 6% bleach? I've had my Divine Sinclair tub since last September and finally did the research to confirm I didn't know what I was doing when it came to water maintenance. Last month, I dumped the water for the first time to get a fresh start. I purchased a Taylor K-2006 test kit and thoroughly read Nitro's How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)? thread and adjusted my levels to match. My daily CD has been over 5-ppm with no usage and my CC was 1.5 so I decided to try shocking it .The shocking exercise did not go well yesterday. I referenced the Chlorine / CYA Chart for Non-SWCG Pools chart to determine a shock FC of 10-ppm. I then applied Clorox 6% bleach as follows which resulted in lower FC than PoolMath indicates. The Ahh-Some and ProTeam Spa Gentle Spa (need some borates for pH buffer) should arrive tomorrow and I'll begin that treatment. Anything else I should be doing here?

Minutes0153045607590720
FC1.25.55.569790
6% Bleach added (oz)84464404

Temp: 99
FC: 0 (this morning)
pH: 7.0
TA: 60
CH: 150
CYA: 20-25 (hard to tell below 30)

Ive not heard of borates for a hot tub... i have a 55lb tub coming, so perhaps ill give that a go too :).
Yes you can shock with 6% bleach... just make sure you add enough according to pool math. For instance, I think for my tub to shock to 16ppm was like 8 oz or something...

I can't seem to keep FC above 0.5 in my 440 gallon spa and decided try shocking it. Can you shock with 6% bleach? I've had my Divine Sinclair tub since last September and finally did the research to confirm I didn't know what I was doing when it came to water maintenance. Last month, I dumped the water for the first time to get a fresh start. I purchased a Taylor K-2006 test kit and thoroughly read Nitro's How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)? thread and adjusted my levels to match. My daily CD has been over 5-ppm with no usage and my CC was 1.5 so I decided to try shocking it .The shocking exercise did not go well yesterday. I referenced the Chlorine / CYA Chart for Non-SWCG Pools chart to determine a shock FC of 10-ppm. I then applied Clorox 6% bleach as follows which resulted in lower FC than PoolMath indicates. The Ahh-Some and ProTeam Spa Gentle Spa (need some borates for pH buffer) should arrive tomorrow and I'll begin that treatment. Anything else I should be doing here?

Minutes0153045607590720
FC1.25.55.569790
6% Bleach added (oz)84464404

Temp: 99
FC: 0 (this morning)
pH: 7.0
TA: 60
CH: 150
CYA: 20-25 (hard to tell below 30)

CYA & chlorine are both degraded by heat.
The Chlorox brand of bleach has polymers that are not pool/spa friendly
A SLAM Process is Shock.Level.AND.Maintain ;)

Your Clorox bleach likely says on the label it contains Cloromax Technology. That is polymers which cause foaming and is not suitable for use in a pool or spa. You need to find pure liquid chlorine/bleach with no additives or scents.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.