Can you identify this algae?

Aug 25, 2016
Brick / NJ
3rd time trying to post this...Can you tell me if this is regular algae or mustard algae? Pool is clear and balanced but does not hold chlorine generated by my SWG. I opened the pool last week and it was covered with algae. This pictured algae has come back in the same spot and the same has happened in a few "harder to reach spots" Thanks!

IMG_20170528_092540.jpg

I think that it's probably mustard.

There are two types of mustard, one is bright yellow and covers large areas. It's generally not free floating and prefers shade.

This type is a darker olive green that tends to act more like silt or sand.

A full SLAM is indicated.

Sorry, that was in my first of three deleted posts. I plan on slamming. I have 10 gallons of 17.5 bleach ready to go. Calculator says 16 for shock and 29 for mustard. When in doubt, go for the mustard? Also, this is in a "shadier" area but I have other algae in sunny spots.

Sorry, that was in my first of three deleted posts. I plan on slamming. I have 10 gallons of 17.5 bleach ready to go. Calculator says 16 for shock and 29 for mustard. When in doubt, go for the mustard? Also, this is in a "shadier" area but I have other algae in sunny spots.
No, you SLAM Process at the normal shock level. The mustard level is only used for the final 24 hours after you pass all three criteria.

Please post a full set of water test results

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Your first post today says pool is balenced but you just posted that your chlorine is 0. That is why you have algae. To get rid of the algae follow the SLAM process as previously mentioned. But you might want to do further reading Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

I suspect your SWG isn't maintaining enough chlorine in part because your CYA is so low. You should probably raise that but not until after the Slam.

Your first post today says pool is balenced but you just posted that your chlorine is 0. That is why you have algae. To get rid of the algae follow the SLAM process as previously mentioned. But you might want to do further reading Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

I suspect your SWG isn't maintaining enough chlorine in part because your CYA is so low. You should probably raise that but not until after the Slam.

These readings are after a "super" chlorinate for 24 hours yesterday starting at 0800 and through the night. The pool is still "balanced" with the exception of chlorine - which is being produced just not staying high enough - I am still learning this process and have read many of the articles. I've been bringing my CYA up slowly in case there was this issue so I don't have to put in a ton of chlorine or drain and refill in case it got too high but still has some protection (my thought process at least). Once this is situated, I will bring CYA to the correct level. It was at 0 when I opened.

Did you SLAM Process the pool?

Next to impossible to identify from a photo, but mustard is generally to shaded areas of the pool.

In any case, turn the SWG off and SLAM Process with liquid chlorine.

You never posted back after say you ordered a test kit last year. Did you get it and SLAM Process to clean up the yellow out you tried to use?

I updated my signature and the yellow out appeared to have worked but I plan on just using TFP SLAM method from here on in. Yellow out gave me a TC low and a FC high but that is a conversation for a different day.

This place is great! Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What was the ingredient in the yellow out?

If it was bromide, you now have a bromine pool. That explains why you can't hold chlorine.

You can't have high fc and low tc.

If it's bromine, you only measure tc (tb total bromine).

If it was bromide, you now have a bromine pool. That explains why you can't hold chlorine.

You can't have high fc and low tc.

If it's bromine, you only measure tc (tb total bromine).

I have held chlorine after the yellow out treatment. After that treatment, my free chlorine was high but my total chlorine was low. Fortunately it did dissipate on its own and I was able to hold the chlorine level after that of 1.5-2.0. Does that sound right? The yellow out needed to be shocked during the treatment.

FC plus CC = TC. So, TC can't be lower than fc.

What exact product did you use?

FC needs to be a minimum of 7.5% of CYA at all times, never lower.

Update:

I starting slamming the pool at 1200 hours. I added the liquid chlorine (2.2 gallons) to a shock level of 16 as per the calulator. I tested two hours after (2:00pm) and it was 12.2. I added a little over half a gallon of liquid chlorine (to bring it from 12 to 16) and then tested at 6:00 pm (four hours later) and it was again 12.2 (61 drops at 25ml). Unfortunately it was a sunny day so from 1200 to 5 or so the sun shining on my pool. I'll have to check it again in about two hours and then I'll see if there is any loss overnight. Then I have to find some reagent to continue testing tomorrow because I am almost out. Does this sound about right?

You posted a CYA of 50. Shock level for that is 20, not 16. Have you taken a look at pool school?

My calculator is showing with a CYA of 50 a level of 16 is needed and yellow as 29. 20000 gallons saltwater pool. I'd screen shot it but everyone says they come out too small. Am I wrong in my reading?

- - - Updated - - -

The yellow out added ammonia. That's going to use up chlorine and create CC. SLAM until completion.

What are you getting for CC?

This was done a while ago last year. Currently have CC's of 0

My calculator is showing with a CYA of 50 a level of 16 is needed and yellow as 29. 20000 gallons saltwater pool. I'd screen shot it but everyone says they come out too small. Am I wrong in my reading?

In quick and simple terms, SLAM FC level is 40% of CYA - so with a CYA of 50 your SLAM level is 20 (19.8 to be exact). And mustard algae SLAM level is 60% of CYA - for CYA of 50 your mustard algae SLAM level is 30 (29.4 to be exact).

The CYA/Chlorine chart referenced above and the links on the Pool School - Mustard Algae page support those numbers.

Which pool calculator are you using?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.