Can you drop liner in just one section?

jaynagy007

May 30, 2021
Mansfield, oh
Ok so I have a small area I'm going to install a galvanized steel piece of sheet metal on the inside of my 27 foot AGP. I'm doing this because it's bowed out at the bottom of one upright where there's just too much room between tracks meeting in the footer. I'd resinstall the whole thing but I don't have the man power.

My question is can I drain the pool , and drop the liner in that one area(keep liner attached on 85% of pool), and then install my sheet metal on the inside as a reinforcement?

Would I then reattach the liner and maybe tape up a shop vac to one small area to get liner wrinkle free?

How do I make sure the liner gets resetup right? Any advice or tips? Thank you!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210907-110508_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210907-110508_Gallery.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 19
How old is the liner? Is it an overlap liner with wiggle room? The problem is shrinkage… if it’s fairly new & u can work fast & refill quickly (in the daylight) then u may have a chance but if the liner shrinks & doesn’t stretch back out it can pull on the walls & u will have a bigger problem than u have now. At that point you would need to drain & replace the liner. Also if you need to remove the area where the skimmer & return(s) are you may never get it lined back up. There’s alot of variables involved. If you were just draining some & repairing the top in one place I would say go for it but this requires a full drain & that entails the risk of needing a new liner.
@Casey ?

That is a high spot in your foundation/ground. I don't think you should do anything unless you can zoom out and show us a glaring problem. Leave it alone.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Hello, thank you soooo much for answering! I'm such a rookie at this. The liner is 1 year old. Basically, when the pool filled with water the buldge happened where the tracks spread too far in one of the footers. This caused the upright to pop off and a buldge to happen. I guess it could be from a high spot but in the picture you can see the wall pop out in the middle of the foot where the space is from tracks spreading. It would be in the opposite side of pool from the skimmer . The liner is one that has a plastic lip thats made specifically for a 27 foot pool, so probably not much wiggle room.

The buldge is horizontal from ground and portudes about 2 feet on each side of the footer.
How old is the liner? Is it an overlap liner with wiggle room? The problem is shrinkage… if it’s fairly new & u can work fast & refill quickly (in the daylight) then u may have a chance but if the liner shrinks & doesn’t stretch back out it can pull on the walls & u will have a bigger problem than u have now. At that point you would need to drain & replace the liner. Also if you need to remove the area where the skimmer & return(s) are you may never get it lined back up. There’s alot of variables involved. If you were just draining some & repairing the top in one place I would say go for it but this requires a full drain & that entails the risk of needing a new liner.
@Casey ?
Hello, thank you soooo much for answering! I'm such a rookie at this. The liner is 1 year old. Basically, when the pool filled with water the buldge happened where the tracks spread too far in one of the footers. This caused the upright to pop off and a buldge to happen. I guess it could be from a high spot but in the picture you can see the wall pop out in the middle of the foot where the space is from tracks spreading. It would be in the opposite side of pool from the skimmer . The liner is one that has a plastic lip thats made specifically for a 27 foot pool, so probably not much wiggle room.

The buldge is horizontal from ground and portudes about 2 feet on each side of the footer.

Attachments

• 206533-20677009d96503e805debbc327c4f2d1.jpg
    206533-20677009d96503e805debbc327c4f2d1.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20220320-091223_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220320-091223_Chrome.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 19
If u can get the upright back on & secured I would leave it. The wall is in the track so that’s fine.
I have a not so perfect upright but it’s secure & I am probably the only one that notices.

If it bothers you enough to fix it, you're looking at a tear down because you're never going to get the track back into the boot without taking the pool apart. A lot of people think it's so easy to slide it back in. #1 that pool wall is heavy and the pool is out of round now and it's not going to budge without pulling something else out of whack if you can even move it. So... what do you want to do? You want to fix it, do it right. You want to leave it? The pool isn't going anywhere and it solid. Put a planter in front of it, call it a day n enjoy the pool.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.