Can you check these numbers? TA and PH high

May 7, 2017
Northern NJ
so new pool, drinking water filled. Finally have all electrical done and added stabilizer 2 nights ago. Will add salt today. First time using poolmath and want to make sure I have it right.

Salt water generator (will start 24hrs after adding salt), above ground pool
18' x 33' x 54"

Estimated gallons 14500

CI - 2 (taylor 5 drop test - have been adding liquid bleach every day. Expect CYA to kick in a few days).
PH - 8.2+ (taylor 5 drop test)
BR - 4 (taylor 5 drop test)
TA - 300
CH - 250
CYA - too early to test
Salt - 190ppm

so it looks like I need to add

-400lbs of salt (maybe start with 350lbs and test again in a few days? I am afraid of adding too much)
-CL - add 90oz of 6% bleach
-TA - I need to get the PH down and retest right?
-PH - add 125oz of 31.45% - 20 of muriatic acid
-Borates - should I get the PH down before I try to add the 615oz of borax? I am already high on PH and don't want to raise it even more by adding the borax

You seem to have a grasp of things.

I'd repeat the TA test just in case, but wipe the tip of the R-009 a few times with a damp paper towel to remove any static charge. It's a common problem on a new bottle of reagent and if TA isn't as high as you think, you'll overshoot on the acid addition.

Also be aware that pH might be even higher than the tester can read. So you might be at 8.5 or better. It might take more than one pH adjustment to get it down.

Hold off on borates until you're comfortable with the rest of the pool chemistry. Once you start doing, things will make more sense.

If there are children in the household, let them in the pool when you add salt. They'll have a blast swimming through the crystals and it will help mix it up.

This is the second TA. I am wiping after each drop. I imagine my PH is really high. Best to add less then recommended salt and see what the levels are at correct?

- - - Updated - - -

I got kids plus some!
19225646_10155422137657813_2543371117435321444_n.jpg

So ph went back up to 8.2 so I added the second dose of ma. So far TA has been:
300 - original
240 - today

I feel like it is going to take forever to get under 100. What are the real concerns of a high ta?
There are two reasons to lower your total alkalinity (TA) right away, because you want to slow down the rate that the PH rises, or if high TA is contributing to a high calcium saturation index (CSI) which puts you at risk of calcium scaling. That's straight out of Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

If you tire of daily or every other day additions, then you can get aggressive about lowering it. It'll take the same amount of acid no matter whether you work at the TA or if you just maintain pH and let TA come down on its own. You're not really at risk of scaling with your current numbers if you just reduce the pH to 7.5 or lower.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.