Can we get a trouble free pool? I say, Yes, only with all y’alls help, that is!

Jul 5, 2023
houston texas
Round 2: So we are at that exciting stage, where we are (almost) ready to sign the contract, but before we pop the champagne, we need your superpowers to give this bid a final look-over.
Virtual confetti cannons for the most fantastic reviewers and this forum!
1713881865749.png

DataPool lengh (Longest) 37 ft Spa lengh (Longest) 8
Pool Width (widest) 17.0 ft Spa Width (widest) 8
Pool perimeter 107 lf Spa perimeter 22
Pool surface area 573 sf Spa surface area 32
Pool Depth left 4 ft Spa Depth left 3
Pool Depth Middle 4.5 ft Spa Depth Middle 3
Pool Depth right 6 ft Spa Depth right 3
Pool form: Geometric

Excavation:
3/8 Inch steel rebar on 8 inch centers, both ways
1/2 Inch steel rebar x 4 on raised bond beam
3/8 Inch rebar, 16 inch on center concrete deck

Steel:
Dry mixed Gunite rated to exceed APSP building standards
12" Bond beam, 6 to 8 inch walls and floor

Gunite:
Plaster:

Pebble or quartz plaster included. To be chosen by the homeowner

Plumbing:
Pool pipes to be up to 3 inch schedule 40 PVC
All main drain to be ANSI/APSP-16 2017 VGB Compliance
6 pool returns and 2 spa returns
6 spa jets
Independently plumbed skimmers for added performance
The spa will have a dedicated air line
An automatic fill line system will be i
An overflow system will be installed
All gas lines to be run and inspected
Tile and coping:
6'x6' porcelain tiles waterline
Upon request, we will install a tile band or individual diamond shape tiles on (requested already & its in!)
the tanning ledge, steps and benches
Standard 3cm travertine coping
When applicable, ledger/split face will be installed on the outside faces of the
spa and raised wall, if requested by the homeowner

Equipment
Pool pump VSPHP270DV2A
Automation system IQ904-PS
Filter CS200
Heater JXI400N
Lights IWC15W100
(they gave us option for all Hayward or Jandy, we picked Jandy based upon responses from this forum) & the above is the equipment list they have included
Yes Hayward Tristar VS Variable speed pump
Yes Pentair Superflo feature pump
Yes Hayward cartridge filter
Yes Hayward heater, or Rhem for the 400 BTU heaters
Yes Hayward automation system with OmniLogic mobile app
Yes Hayward ColorLogic 320 LED lights for the pool
Yes Hayward ColorLogic 320 LED lights for the spa
No Hayward White Pool Light
No Hayward White Spa Light
Yes Hayward actuators
Yes Hayward chlorinator
No Hayward Salt System
Yes Jandy 1 HP spa blower
Note: Upon customer's request, we may use the equivalent equipment by Jandy

Warranty

Gunite: Limited Manufacturer Lifetime Warranty
Plaster: Limited Manufacturer Lifetime Warranty
Equipment:
3 Years Manufacturer Limited Warranty
1 Year Warranty
Workmanship Limited 3 Years Warranty

Disclaimer:

We include up to 4 pallets of new sod and in the event that the job takes more than 4, the customer will be billed for the extra sod at $500/pallet We build most pools and spas within 30 days from excavation day; however, external factors could sometimes delay the completion of the pool by one or two weeks, or sometimes more. Such external factors could be but are not limited to, excessive rain, delayed inspections, change orders, delayed customer payments, the construction of other features like outdoor kitchens and cabanas, and others.

If the project includes a salt water system, please be aware that we should first start the chemical balance with chlorine tablets and add the salt approximately 4 weeks later, this period is normal and does not affect the completion date on record.

Payment:

Total price $115k

(Hold 15% = 17k until after water)

Attachments

• IMG_5491.jpg
    IMG_5491.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5473.jpg
    IMG_5473.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
No such thing as a trouble free pool.

You'll have problems. They might be minor- or major, but there will be problems.

Had my pool 6 years. Had more problems than fun. Always something breaking down, or acting up, or - electrical shocks that can't be located or eliminated, or troubleshot.

Good luck.

You can easily have a trouble free pool - just not maintenance free.

Get model numbers for all equipmemt and post them here.
Seriously consider adding a SWG now.
You don't need or want the "Hayward chlorinator" tab feeder. If you use 3" tabs at some point, use a tab floater.
Be sure the depths listed are water depth and not to the top of the coping or deck.
How many gallons? Be sure to size a SWG for at least 2 times the pool volume.

No such thing as a trouble free pool
Well, I guess we just need to shut down the website :)

We can help both of you get through any issues.

Grecian - Your pool will be more trouble free if you go with a salt water pool. Builders do not like them, but they make life so much easier since they make their own chlorine (and only chlorine) vs you having to manually add it.

Thank you very much for the feedback & review. So we have SWCG as an option and its just $1900 to add it back, however every PB cautions us that it was eat through any metal we have around the pool. Personally the only reason we have taken it out is because of that cautionary tale. Would love to learn from your experience whether the rusting/slowly breaking down of everything around the pool is true or is it just a fairy tale PB's like to tell ?

Pool Depth right 6 ft
6' is an awkward depth since it's too deep to stand, but too shallow for diving, etc.. I'd suggest 5' or commit to a true deep end.

All main drain to be ANSI/APSP-16 2017 VGB Compliance
Main drain is optional. How many skimmers will you have?

Yes Hayward Tristar VS Variable speed pump
Yes Pentair Superflo feature pump
Why are they mixing brands? If you're going with Jandy automation, I'd get all Jandy pumps.

Hayward cartridge filter
What size? You want the largest cartridge filter you can afford.

Yes Hayward ColorLogic 320 LED lights for the pool
Yes Hayward ColorLogic 320 LED lights for the spa
How many? Make sure they all point away from the house or main seating area.

Yes Hayward chlorinator
No Hayward Salt System
Should be the other way around. You don't want a tab feeder, and you definitely want a SWCG.

Last edited:
Well, I guess we just need to shut down the website :)

We can help both of you get through any issues.

Grecian - Your pool will be more trouble free if you go with a salt water pool. Builders do not like them, but they make life so much easier since they make their own chlorine (and only chlorine) vs you having to manually add it.

ha - no. I just think the name is a bit misleading. But it's just a personal thing with me. It's still a great name. The pool owners I know- me included- have trouble. But there are good months and bad months- good years and bad years.

I've had a lot more bad than good and I've read the board more times than I can count. I didn't expect maintenance free. That's not possible and I enjoy some of it. But troubeshotting electrical issues for almost 3 years isn't fun at all- even for the electricians that I've had give it the ole college try.

I just warn pool folks that you will have issues- and you'll have trouble. It will be minor, or major, or probably a combination. If they are good with that- that's great. Some people love even that part of it- and that's ok.

Reactions: JJ_Tex
No such thing as a trouble free pool.

You'll have problems. They might be minor- or major, but there will be problems.

Had my pool 6 years. Had more problems than fun. Always something breaking down, or acting up, or - electrical shocks that can't be located or eliminated, or troubleshot.

Good luck.
Lol :) I am hoping that if we pick the right equipment as suggested by the experienced folks here, we will have less trouble-some days but I hear you!

Reactions: Grecian pool TX

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Automation, pump, SWG and possibly lights should be the same manufacturer so the automation can control it all.
Heater can be a different manufacturer as I recall.

I'm a DIY kind of person. I would shy away from Jandy automation, pumps, SWG for that reason.
If you buy from a reputable dealer though, it shouldn't be an issue.
Hayward or Pentair would be my personal preference - not in any particular order.

My pool is almost 25 years old. No major issues in that time. Replaced a couple of pumps and one filter in that time. Most every other 'issue' (there have only been a few) was self inflicted and relatively easily remedied.

How many gallons is your pool supposed to hold?

Love your tile and other picks!

I was going to say to make sure to get the model number for the equipment instead of them just saying the general "equivalent" statement. Well done on getting that important info!

Main drains-IF you get them make sure they are the plaster filled ones that blend in with the plaster. You can leave them out like mentioned above. With your depths they could be "toe getters" while enjoying the pool.

Love your tile and other picks!

I was going to say to make sure to get the model number for the equipment instead of them just saying the general "equivalent" statement. Well done on getting that important info!

Main drains-IF you get them make sure they are the plaster filled ones that blend in with the plaster. You can leave them out like mentioned above. With your depths they could be "toe getters" while enjoying the pool.
Appreciate your compliment. I was low-key crossing my fingers that this message would catch your eye and we would get your feedback on our picks. And hey, thank you for the extra tip - will request plaster filled drains...

Automation, pump, SWG and possibly lights should be the same manufacturer so the automation can control it all.
Heater can be a different manufacturer as I recall.

I'm a DIY kind of person. I would shy away from Jandy automation, pumps, SWG for that reason.
If you buy from a reputable dealer though, it shouldn't be an issue.
Hayward or Pentair would be my personal preference - not in any particular order.

My pool is almost 25 years old. No major issues in that time. Replaced a couple of pumps and one filter in that time. Most every other 'issue' (there have only been a few) was self inflicted and relatively easily remedied.

How many gallons is your pool supposed to hold?
We are a lottttt less handy (more akin a one0legged cat in a sandbox!) ;-) I will check with PB on gallons (he seems to want to keep that a big secret)...

CL580 or CV580

Have them install an external heater bypass.

Get a PLC1400 SWCG.
Thank you very much for this most actionable feedback requesting these. So the question I have is they only offer Jandy automation system but they typically install Haywards pumps and everything else. So what should I do? Just go with the standard Hayward equipment and accept the Jandy automation system or ask them to change everything to Jandy (with your suggested changes here)?

Thank you very much for this most actionable feedback requesting these. So the question I have is they only offer Jandy automation system but they typically install Haywards pumps and everything else. So what should I do? Just go with the standard Hayward equipment and accept the Jandy automation system or ask them to change everything to Jandy (with your suggested changes here)?
I would rather use all Hayward equipment and automation. The Hayward Omnilogic they quoted is a good system. It has served me well, at least.

I definitely would not mix equipment from different manufacturers in a new build.

Building a pool without a SWG in Texas is a bad idea. I would get Hayward’s largest cell (T-15) which is rated for 40K gallons.

No need for the tablet feeder.

It is inadvisable to jumble equipment from different vendors. Even if something cross-OEM works today, there's no guarantee it will in the future. Jandy has been the most aggressive with this by far.

Pick one and stick with it. Jandy automation and Jandy equipment or Hayward automation and Hayward equipment. IMO, I am no fan of Jandy due to their strong anti-consumer stance on most things, so If I were in your shoes I would pick Hayward. No matter who you go with, a SWCG in Texas is a necessity. Do not let them talk you out of it.

I forgot to ask you if you have picked the grout color for the tile. White will make each tile pop. Gray (I would go med. gray) will allow them to blend together more. They should have grout sticks for you to play with. Try the dark colors as well. There was a pool a bit ago that used almost black and it look awesome! I was very surprised how pretty it was.

. I was low-key crossing my fingers that this message would catch your eye and we would get your feedback on our picks
Never fear, Kim has her own Spidey-sense, but for bling. She senses something sparkling and rushes off to see.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support