Can we discuss the EcoSmarte copper titanium ion water purification system? Is anyone familiar?

Deb Driesen

Feb 20, 2021
FINGER LAKES NY
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Moved to Agree to Disagree Forum -- TFP Mod
Does anyone have experience with the EcoSmarte copper titanium ion water purification system? The company says no need for chlorine or salt, no UV light nor Ozonator. Also the company suggests emptying sand out of the sand filter and putting crushed recycled glass in its place. This all seems so unusual I'm hesitant to "dive in." I'd appreciate hearing from anyone with experience with this company and the EcoSmarte.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Deb and belated Welcome !! So here’s the deal. Several metals are natural algae inhibitors. They do nothing to kill it, but can greatly stop it from growing. The industry is so focused on algae prevention that they often forget about the real things you want dead. Bacteria, viruses, pathogens, fecal matter, etc. algae is just the canary in the coal mine and about as harmless. But if the canary is alive, so is everything else. Stopping just the algae does ZERO to be sanitary. So you will need full chlorine dosing no matter what. The added metals will only cause problems with staining if you use them. The rashes you will get from unsanitary water will be far worse than tinged skin and blue hair.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
The manufacturers of said products claim that because chlorine isn’t needed to waste its ability fighting the algae that you won’t have, that only a little chlorine is needed to kill everything else.

****THIS is a BOLD FACED lie****.

Everything else needs 100% of FC to keep the water sanitary. Period. But a sucker is born every minute and the builder/manufacturer has long cashed all the checks by the time the owner figures it out the hard way.

Read up on ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and ask away any questions for how to do it all the cheap and easy way. We are friendly as all get out too. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: magiteck
There is a learning curve, but once you become consistent with testing your water, the system is practically trouble free and effective
If your system adds copper to the pool, It is only a matter of time before it stains the pool surface and it’s swimmers.

You may delay the process with our abundance of fresh rain (approx 4 ft a year), But even with that large addition, some copper builds and builds. It’s only a matter of time.

With your high end customers, They can pay to drain and refill the pool every couple of years and never even blink. It’s the cheapest bill they have. But it’s not recommended or financially feasible for the rest of us.

If we didn't believe in the product, we would never damage our reputation by making it available to our Eco-friendly customers
Pick your poison. It’s a feel good ‘Eco’ product because the manufacturer says so. To produce all the copper and get it to the customer creates its own mess of unseen consequences.

Environmental Effects

The way in which copper has been traditionally mined has resulted in the production of toxic waste products and negative changes to the immediate mine environment. The environmental consequences of the mining process are substantial and have both acute and chronic effects on the geography, water, vegetation and biological life in the surrounding areas

I have had the ecosmarte automated system for 5 years and it is fantastic.
Most interesting especially since I've had trouble with baquacil over the years and yet am hesitant to go back to chlorine which is what I started with back in '89. I've always wondered about totally non-chlorine systems and their alternatives. I'd love additional info on this just to learn more about it. Will do some research but appreciate any other info you might want to share.

This forum has been giving a lot of misinformation.
Excuse me, did you really start out your post pretending to just be a happy user only to later admit that you are in the business of selling these devices?

I can't imagine how peddlers of alternatives end up with such a reputation of dishonesty. :sneaky:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.