Can three Trichlor pucks sky rocket CYA?

May 31, 2014
Wentzville, MO
I never new much about CYA and have never tested it (new kit comes today). I tossed a TON of shock in AND cranked my feeder up to max. I assumed the more the better. You probably guessed already that my feeder tablets where trichlor. I had three in there that are nearly gone, are three pucks of that enough to chlorine lock you?

How many gallons is your pool? And how many bags of shock? And what type of shock?

In 10,000 gallons, One 8 oz trichlor puck raises CYA by 3.3

In 10,000 gallons, One 1 lb bag of trichlor shock will raise CYA by 6.6

Hard to know if what you did would set you over a reasonable amount of CYA without knowing a starting value either before you added all this. Have you routinely used stablized forms of chlorine for seasons past and never measured? If so, probably over no matter what.

Only real way to know is to let it all circulate and test your water when your kit arrives...

I certainly would not blindly add any more without knowing what your current level is because you may be setting yourself up for a drain and refill and just wasting a bunch of money...

insufficient-data.jpg

Need to know how much water is in the pool and what type was that 2,000 lbs of shock.

Sorry!!!!!! It's about 10k gallons.

And I am using pucks, I had went through a total of 6 since I opened it about three weeks ago.

Shock wise... 12lbs of "HTH super / 4-1" and six gallons of liquid bleach.
Very little change in color, still deep green. I was freaking out until someone mentioned the CYA possibility?

So... 6 pucks would've raised it 19-20ppm. Still far away from the 30-40. I did run the trichlor feeder all last summer but on a much lower setting. My pool was fully drained at June (repaired fiberglass). But it never goes down and just keeps building correct?

Okay, so the "shock" was 56% cal-hypo. No CYA added there. The bleach wouldn't add any CYA either. So 6 trichlor pucks brought you to about 30 CYA, which is perfect for a SLAM Process. Open that feeder up all the way and get those last three pucks dissolving. Don't add any more until the SLAM is over, and only if you wish to raise the CYA that way, since you already own the bucket of pucks. Misread. It added 20, not 30 CYA. You need a little more

You can't do much more than that until your kit arrives. Perhaps stock up on liquid chlorine. And study the SLAM Process article.

OK so your saying unless I went crazy last year raising the CYA levels those pucks didn't cause a chlorine lock. I did read through the SLAM article several times but considering I was too cheap to order a kit over my 1004 I am guessing I couldn't get enough info (especially on CYA). I made sure the PH was close or a little lower than the target window and just kept dumping shock in day after day this year. USUALLY that works, I have never had so much trouble before. Even the year of the tadpoles. In fact I have gotten away with only 5-6lbs of shock in the past. If my CYA is in acceptable levels any other ideas on what could be wrong? I assume at this point I might need to just drain, clean up the bottom and start new. Sigh.

I appreciate the help!

OK so your saying unless I went crazy last year raising the CYA levels those pucks didn't cause a chlorine lock. I did read through the SLAM article several times but considering I was too cheap to order a kit over my 1004 I am guessing I couldn't get enough info (especially on CYA). I made sure the PH was close or a little lower than the target window and just kept dumping shock in day after day this year. USUALLY that works, I have never had so much trouble before. Even the year of the tadpoles. In fact I have gotten away with only 5-6lbs of shock in the past. If my CYA is in acceptable levels any other ideas on what could be wrong? I assume at this point I might need to just drain, clean up the bottom and start new. Sigh.

I appreciate the help!
I would be cautious draining that pool completely.

One, you might float it if there's a lot of groundwater. Hasn't it been raining a lot your way? You don't want this And here what happen with and empty pool and lots of rain
Two, if the ground is saturated, you might push the walls of the pool in and they may not push back when you refill.

Thanks everyone for helping me out! I am looking forward to the new kit and finding out exactly where everything is and then hopefully I can get more help. I am crossing my fingers still that the main culprit is the CYA level.

And ya I only drained a 1/3 of it yesterday due to being worried about the floating / bulging issue. We did not have any rain the past few days and I ran a pump to remove the ground water around it prior though. As soon as it started "sputtering" I went for it. It's nearly filled back up now according to my wife.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not sure if anyone will see this but I was able to test the CYA level last night. After draining a good amount of the pool I am sitting around 80-85ppm... going to assume it was VERY high prior. Hopefully that was my issue. Anyways I am reading a lot of conflicting statements on the acceptable amount. It ranges from 40 to 80 and it seems there is a public pool regulation that keeps it at the higher end?

I am going to assume I need to drop it more?

For residential pools it depends on location and the presence of a SWCG. TFP recommends a minimum of 30 for everyone, 40-50 for sunny spots (So Cal, Tex, FL, etc) and 70-80 for users with a SWCG.

Looking at your location on a map I would say 40ish would be good so 1/2 water replace. You can certainly manage a CYA that high without replacing but it will require staying above the higher minimum FC at all times.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.