Can this liner be fixed?

Jul 13, 2015
PA
15x30 above ground pool. Purchased the pool via the home we bought 3 years ago. Pool was covered at time of closing and inspections but previous owners said whole pool was 4 years young. Had receipt for purchase but no installation receipt. Think they put it up themselves. From that opening the first year, there were wrinkles near the skimmer. When filled 1/2 the skimmer opening, not too bad aesthetically and doesn’t seem to be troublesome. This week, i started a slow drain due to cover blowing off a month or so ago and the ensuing swamp that has formed. I have 1/3 pool drained and it’s still in the same area but the looseness of the liner is more widespread in that area than I knew. It is an overlap liner. Can I full drain and pull this existing liner taught in that area and re install the coping strips or is a new liner in my future? See picture

Attachments

• 6B8F5BA8-D381-4D31-92C7-3E55C546F67E.jpg
    6B8F5BA8-D381-4D31-92C7-3E55C546F67E.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 82
A 7 year old liner might be ruined if you fully drain.

They have a tendancy to shrink and then not stretch back out and tear when you refill.

Leave well enough alone? I don’t want to overthink this. At functional full, it bothers me but no one else. My plan was a half drain of the swamp, refill and SLAM. I got nervous when it seemed to pull away in that area the more I drained. If only we could spot shrink loose liners (and beer bellies)

I don't know enough about liners to know if you could pull the top rails and kind of maneuver the liner a bit so it does not look as stretched ... then again that might make things worse.

As mentioned, age of the line might be an issue since they like to shrink once drained. Also depending on liner type it may not even be fixable. Unless it's an overlap liner then there won't be a way to fix it right. A beaded liner or J hook liner won't allow for removal of such excess wrinkles as the way they're hung from the top of the wall limits where the liner lays and falls.

If it holds water then the best bet is to just get by with it until it is closer to the end of its life, then replace it.

It pulls away because you're taking water out. As the pool fills, it's pushing the liner back in place. It looks more cosmetic than anything. With the skimmer right there, the chances of adjusting the liner would make those wrinkles worse. If it bothers you that much, a new liner is in order but you do not need one.

The liner may not have been properly set by the other owners and once the pool filled, it made itself obvious.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.