Can there be something bad on the board making cells go bad

coryp

Nov 6, 2007
Or are cells just this terrible lately?

I have an older PS8 and a T15. I have had the board redone about 5 years ago and it fixed some high salt readings, but I think I've gone through 3 cells in 4 years recently. One hayward and two off brand. All of them drop one side of polarity first. My current cell is 10 months (off brand) and reads 0 on one side and 2500 on the other (actual salt 3000). I'm wondering if I need to investigate the board or just keep throwing cells at it. They all seem good/consistent for about 6 months at a minimum...

Attachments

• 20210809_171517.jpg
    20210809_171517.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210809_171545.jpg
    20210809_171545.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Where did you get the off brand cell from? Some off brand cells don't have the quality and longevity of a Hayward cell.

What % do you run your SWG at?

@JamesW

Ebay
so the last two were this listing, granted when I got them they were under 300. I didn't expect hayward quality, but I didn't expect them to die at 9 months. In the summer, they run high, like 75% and winter maybe 25%. My pool runs 8 hours a day on low. The previous cell was a glx hayaward with a 1 year warranty that lasted 12 months, hence my trying the off brand...

A new Hayward Tcell-15 has a 3 year warranty. The 1 year warranty cells are replacement cells that Hayward sends out as replacements.

Unfortunately the only warranty place by me will only replace dealer/installer installed cells, making the whole process ridiculous. There used to be a service center in driving distance that would check and replace any cell with a receipt,, but they are no longer around. I feel like it's a wash between the short life of these aftermarket cells and the high cost of an "installed" cell.

Out of curiosity, if a 3 year cell fails in one year and they give you a 1 year replacement cell, if that cell dies in 12.5 months are you out of luck or do you get a 3rd cell?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.