Can the ends of a Vacuum hose be replaced or do you need to replace the entire hose?

Rockstead

Sep 2, 2010
Montreal, QC, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I’ve had this great hose for the past 10 years but prices of both ends have come off and I can’t get a secure fit on the pool vacuum or the pool filter end.

how do you change these ends? Or do you just toss the whole hose and buy new?

344EC72B-3599-4F39-A8A9-282B16882260.jpeg

One of those ends appears to be a swivel, so if you go with Roscoe's suggestion above, I believe both ends won't be capable of swiveling, unless I'm mistaken. I replaced one of mine as well years ago and besides cutting off the old hose and screwing the new one on, I also added a bead of silicone inside the new cuff. It worked just fine. Again, not sure if you have any other options regarding the swivel end though. I don't think those cuffs will fit over the piece that swivels?

It looks like I was mistaken, they sell one for the swivel end as well. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Bperry
Parts were received.
I used a sharp razor knife and a cutting board to carefully cut each end off. I used the hose side of old end as a guide to cut the end off. I was attempting to cut as squarely as possible. It worked out pretty well.
I trial fit both ends. Lo and behold...left hand threads. Never thought about it.
I ran some kitchen and bath clear silicon in the minor diameter (valley of the threads) of the first 4 or so threads of each hose end and screwed on the ends.
I used my finger to smooth out the residual silicon that squeezed out.
Letting the hose cure overnight.
Total time was less than 20 min.

Reactions: Newdude
Total time was less than 20 min
Please use the snot out of it, and report back at the end of the season. I’m getting a robot but will always spot vac so this hack will most likely be a big help. Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How did you like the swivel replacement? I've only replaced the other end, and just like you, I used silicone on it as well.
HMMMMM.
NOT THRILLED with the swivel end.
I vacuumed the pool this AM (bunch of junk in the pool from pressure washing and report on the hose ends).
The swivel end slipped off my vacuum head. A couple of wraps of electrical tape on the vacuum head male fitting to create a larger outer diameter cured this problem.
I did not wrap the connection in tape so the two were semi-permanently joined. TOOOO much work.
Overall, it is better than the split ends, but not perfect.
I do not know if it is my vacuum head or the hose end. Maybe, I received an oversized one or, over time, the vacuum head has been eroded.
Since the Polaris does most of the hard work and I only vacuum during opening and when it gets lots of debris (after storms and such) in the pool, I will probably live with the situation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.