Can stamped be nonslip and cool on the feet?

Aug 8, 2013
Houston, Tx
I really like the look of stamped concrete decking but with three kids and their friends, we really need something non-slippery. And living in the south with very little shade in the backyard, we will need something that will stay cool on everyone's feet. So my question is if we opt for a lighter colored decking and add Shark Grip, will that work? I've read conflicting opinions and would like to hear others' experience before we decide.

Last edited:
We went with a stamped coping in a very light grey. The rest of the decking is plain ole broom finished concrete. I expected the stamped coping to be warmer than the rest but was very surprised at how hot it gets. I would not want my entire decking to get that hot...

Our neighbors across the road have stamped concrete on their walkway. It's the most slippery thing that I have ever walked on (next to a sheet of ice) when its wet or frosty. I nearly took a tumble walking on it! As my saying goes..."Looks good from far but far from good". I won't be using stamped concrete until it can be made so it isn't so darn slippery!

My son has wiped out on my BIL's covered patio, that has the stamped concrete. A pool area definitely gets wet, which is when it is almost like ice to walk on in bare feet. You would think there is something that could be applied to allieviate this problem.

I haven't had any problems with slipping, we've had alot of younger kids here as well as our teenagers. The dog slipped once as he was running around the pool wet. I think it is slightly more slippery than plain concrete, part of that being what pattern you have. As far as the temp goes my thought it color is the determining factor, lighter the better. Our climate is not as hot as many others here, when it is in the 90's mine gets so I don't want to stand in one place, dry, barefoot, but it's not blistering my feet either. I hose down the deck where we are if it's like that. I don't know why previous posters say its like ice, I guess the texture is different, never had near that feeling with mine.

They make a non-stick and heat resistant acrylic 'spray deck' that I will be going with.

For example: http://www.prefdeck.com/

I agree with everyone above. My parents older IG pool has Kool Deck around the perimeter, and it is great at keeping your feet cool in the Vegas' heat. HOWEVER, take one step off that Kool Deck onto the standard concrete walkway and you'd swear you were walking on a frying pan. And when that gets wet it turns into a a greasy frying pan. My friends and I took our fair share of spills growing up, whereas I can't think of a single instance where we slipped on the Kool Deck portion.

We have stamped concrete on both our front and back patios, with the back patio being near the pool. When I sealed the concrete with acrylic, I added a powdered product called Gator Grip. The sealer is still crystal clear and is nonslip. It works so well that rubber shoes squeak on it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We have stamped overlay. It's more akin to Kool Deck and is applied on top of a concrete slab. It's pretty non-slip (it was a bit slicker when it was first done than it is now) and it stays a lot cooler than the stone coping.
We're really happy with it.

How do these coatings hold up to a Honda pressure washer? The great thing about regular concrete is that it can look dirty one minute and with a good quality pressure washer the concrete can look like new again! I would think that these coatings would come flying off when hit with a gas pressure washer? Any experiences?

I want to get our stamped concrete sealed also. Ours probably hasn't been sealed in over 6 years by looking at it. We definitely don't want it to be slippery. So we need to add the nonslip additives. I also have some pavers that I need to get the cracks re-sanded. Does anyone know of a good company in the western suburbs of Chicago to go with? I'm in the process of getting some quotes.Thanks!

How do these coatings hold up to a Honda pressure washer?

I have Kool Deck and we love how much cooler it is than standard concrete. Just yesterday it was 102* and I could stand on it indefinitely without issue, but had to stay well clear of the stone coping.

To answer your question, when they first applied our KD, it chipped up in many places, so they used a power washer to get the majority of the "bad" areas up, but the rest survived the power wash just fine. Second application had a couple of places that once again chipped up, so they power washed yet again. Third time they used a completely different bonding agent which seems to have fixed the issue. All that being said, the majority of our deck has survived two times of power washing without incident.

Here ya go.
Day:

Night:

Wow...Your pool and deck look absolutely stunning! How many square feet is your deck area? We have the funds available and the backyard to do something really great but sometimes I feel mixed on spending A LOT of cash and maybe just going with something less over the top! When I say that yours is over the top...please take that as a compliment! Up here in B.C Canada, a pool like yours would probably run over 100k! Maybe yours is more? The decking in yours is so very detailed and would take a ton of time to do? Your pool looks amazing!

Wow...Your pool and deck look absolutely stunning! How many square feet is your deck area? We have the funds available and the backyard to do something really great but sometimes I feel mixed on spending A LOT of cash and maybe just going with something less over the top! When I say that yours is over the top...please take that as a compliment! Up here in B.C Canada, a pool like yours would probably run over 100k! Maybe yours is more? The decking in yours is so very detailed and would take a ton of time to do? Your pool looks amazing!

Thank you! It's 1,350 sqft of deck. Honestly , we are by no means cramped but we could easily utilize more deck space if we had it. It took a day to prep, grade and put forms up for the concrete deck, a day to pour the deck, a day to tape the deck and then apply the base coat of the Kool deck type material, then a day to individually color the 'tiles' and seal them.

Our take was we didn't want to regret spending a bit more to get what we wanted. Our compromise was the landscaping and outdoor kitchen haven't been done yet because the pool took all our funds. Hopefully we'll do it in March. As for cost, all up including safety fence, palms, sprinklers and pre-plumbing for outdoor kitchen we're about $93k into it. The decking was about $13k of that I believe off the top of my head.

Thank you! It's 1,350 sqft of deck. Honestly , we are by no means cramped but we could easily utilize more deck space if we had it. It took a day to prep, grade and put forms up for the concrete deck, a day to pour the deck, a day to tape the deck and then apply the base coat of the Kool deck type material, then a day to individually color the 'tiles' and seal them.

Our take was we didn't want to regret spending a bit more to get what we wanted. Our compromise was the landscaping and outdoor kitchen haven't been done yet because the pool took all our funds. Hopefully we'll do it in March. As for cost, all up including safety fence, palms, sprinklers and pre-plumbing for outdoor kitchen we're about $93k into it. The decking was about $13k of that I believe off the top of my head.

Thank you for divulging the numbers!! It's appreciated. It gives us an idea of what you can expect for a certain amount of $. Up here in the pacific northwest, there are limited amount of pool builders and the good ones tend to have you over a barrel!

My thoughts on spending more on a pool were this: We looked at getting a lake front cottage up here but they are huge money (500k for something decent). Thought about going partners with friends and spending 250k but with limited use it's a big financial commitment for 4 months of really good weather. I said to my wife a month ago that we would probably be better off spending 100k on a pool and landscaping and upgrade our boat and spend 200k on that instead. Sounds a bit crazy but it made sense to me...lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.