Can someone help me design a plumbing, filter and skimmer setup?

chi-chi

Jun 21, 2019
Ashburn, VA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
Hello all,

First time pool owner and I have an intex ultra xtr 24x12 rectangular pool that I will set up next month. I would like to have a more permanent installation and need advice on how to do this..

Here is what I have already purchased:

intex automatic pool cleaner/vacuum

Hayward skimmer SP1091LX

Intex 26645EG 2100 Gph Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump, 12 in

Intex 26679EG Krystal Clear 2150 GPH Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System 16 in

Here are my questions... since I have 2 pumps and filters is there a way to use both to my advantage?

I am also interested in getting a second matching Hayward skimmer is this a good idea and if so how and where could I place them?

How can I hard plumb everything for a more permanent setup? Is there a diagram that I can follow?

Thanks in advance I truly appreciate any help!

With an Intex pool and Intex hardware (filters, pumps) I would stick with the Intex hoses. Intex uses proprietary sizes, and you would have to use adapters to switch to the PVC and back again. I just don't see the advantage.

I don't know what your yard looks like, nor where power etc is. But if you want two skimmers, then ideally they are placed at opposite sides of the pool. You do have to take into consideration things like where the ladder will be, where foot traffic patterns will be, and not creating a trip hazard. If the two pumps end up side by side, so be it.

Since you have two pumps/filters, you could set up the one that has the salt water generator with the skimmer. Let the other one be a dedicated robot pump/filter, no skimmer. Or vice versa. If you want to use that robot and have the Hayward skimmer on the same pump, you are going to need a 3-way valve to switch between the two.

Setup instructions, with diagrams, are in the manuals for your pumps/filters.

Reactions: chi-chi
It’s late and I need to get to bed or I will be worthless tomorrow, but there are definite advantages to hard plumbing. I’ll check in tomorrow to add more, if someone doesn’t beat me to it!

With an Intex pool and Intex hardware (filters, pumps) I would stick with the Intex hoses. Intex uses proprietary sizes, and you would have to use adapters to switch to the PVC and back again. I just don't see the advantage.

I don't know what your yard looks like, nor where power etc is. But if you want two skimmers, then ideally they are placed at opposite sides of the pool. You do have to take into consideration things like where the ladder will be, where foot traffic patterns will be, and not creating a trip hazard. If the two pumps end up side by side, so be it.

Since you have two pumps/filters, you could set up the one that has the salt water generator with the skimmer. Let the other one be a dedicated robot pump/filter, no skimmer. Or vice versa. If you want to use that robot and have the Hayward skimmer on the same pump, you are going to need a 3-way valve to switch between the two.

Setup instructions, with diagrams, are in the manuals for your pumps/filters.
@CrystalRiver Thanks for the reply! I plan on making this as permanent as possible and I plan on having an electrician come out and run power for me. Also the plan is to put decking all around the pool so no trip hazards etc.

I would prefer to hard pipe and plumb everything even if adapters are needed.. I want to be able to basically set the pumps and filters closer to the under decks edge for easy access. I will attach pics of the area for reference.

I also plan to get two of those large resin deck boxes to house the pumps and filters from the elements and I love your idea of using one pump and filter for just the vacuum and the other larger pump and filter for the pool and skimmer (possibly 2 skimmers?). This sounds like a great idea thanks!

Attachments

• 20210423_093551_copy_3000x2250.jpg
    20210423_093551_copy_3000x2250.jpg
    828.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210423_093602_copy_3000x2250.jpg
    20210423_093602_copy_3000x2250.jpg
    1,002.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210423_093619_copy_3000x2250.jpg
    20210423_093619_copy_3000x2250.jpg
    820.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210423_093701_copy_3000x2250.jpg
    20210423_093701_copy_3000x2250.jpg
    604.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 20210423_093720_copy_3000x2250.jpg
    20210423_093720_copy_3000x2250.jpg
    861.9 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: 87seph
Here I am! So, I dealt with the Intex hoses for a while in my pool journey, and in the hot Florida sun, I had to replace them regularly because they just didn’t hold up that well. I also really hated the different size connections - not sure how yours is set up, but with mine, it had 1.5“ return and 1.25 inlets.

So, I cut in a skimmer, cut both inlets to 1.5”, then plugged one with a Hayward threaded plug that was easily removed if I wanted to use it for something, and put a larger inlet into the other one.

I made adapters that would allow me to use either rigid PVC or flex PVC to plumb system. If you stalk my install thread in signature, you’ll find instructions to make the adapters.

I went from skimmer to a PVC tee, and inlet to same tee, then tee to pump.

I also went from filter back to return, and I did use the Intex hose there, but planned to replace it at some point. Then I ended up replacing the whole pool!

I used the Intex valves at return and inlet, and installed a ball valve under my skimmer, so shutting off water flow when I needed to unhook the equipment was easy peasy.

I ended up using flex PVC on my Intex to give me some wiggle room, but I used rigid PVC on my current permanent AGP.

Regarding the two pump/filters, I would use the larger for your pool and if you don’t need the smaller, sell it. Can probably do so quickly in this COVID shortage summer!

Here’s a photo of the Intex set up.

F7E2778C-2F37-4B69-AA77-D2BDFAA4B571.jpeg

@CrystalRiver & @kellyfair Could you guys take a look at my plumbing diagram and tell me if this would work or if its even correct?

I have the two skimmers (E & F) on opposite sides and both are connected together at (A) and then going into the Pump/Sand filter inlet. If this is correct what connector is needed at A? Is it just a T joint or do I need some sort of 3 way valve?

I assume that I will have to cut an additional circular hole in the pool to accommodate The inlets and returns letters (B, C , and D)?

If this is correct could pump #2 be used only to run the vacuum when needed? Or is there a better way to do this?

Attachments

• Pool Plumbing Markup.png
    Pool Plumbing Markup.png
    474.5 KB · Views: 27
So, look at your patterns of in and out. Do you know the normal wind patterns in the area where your pool will be? Are you positioning your returns so that filtered water will simply be sucked back into the skimmer again (not very efficient)?

Remind me again why you are doing two pumps?

For your skimmers, it’s nice to have the option to divert water in different ways. I would be tempted, with long runs of PVC, to put a valve at each skimmer. That way if you want to really move stuff around, you can just water off at the skimmers and do your thing. You could also do a three way valve in the place of a tee.

So, look at your patterns of in and out. Do you know the normal wind patterns in the area where your pool will be? Are you positioning your returns so that filtered water will simply be sucked back into the skimmer again (not very efficient)?

Remind me again why you are doing two pumps?

For your skimmers, it’s nice to have the option to divert water in different ways. I would be tempted, with long runs of PVC, to put a valve at each skimmer. That way if you want to really move stuff around, you can just water off at the skimmers and do your thing. You could also do a three way valve in the place of a tee.
Not sure what happened to my reply but here's why the 2 pump idea.. 1) I already have the two pumps and would like to put them to use since it's not an additional cost. 2) My idea is to run one pump at one set of ours and the 2nd at another, but mainly the 2nd pump will be used for a robotic vacuum and in the future a solar heater. The 1st pump is the SWG and the 2nd is a vacuuming/feature pump.

I have taken your advice and ordered a 3 way valve diverted for the skimmers. I am not certain how to check wind patterns etc in order to best place things. I know circulation is important so I could swap the location of C & D so that the returns are side by side angled tobthe right both away from the skimmer and inlet (counter clockwise).?

Last thing is all of the skimmers will have a ball valve for maintenance is what I have read as well.

I'd be a little leery about putting the pumps inside deck boxes. The motors will build heat and if you want to prolong the life of the motors you need to be able to keep them cool. Additionally, I'd be concerned that should a hose fail in an enclosed deck box, the motor could become submerged in water.
I wish you the best in your design.
Respectfully,

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'd be a little leery about putting the pumps inside deck boxes. The motors will build heat and if you want to prolong the life of the motors you need to be able to keep them cool. Additionally, I'd be concerned that should a hose fail in an enclosed deck box, the motor could become submerged in water.
I wish you the best in your design.
Respectfully,
Hello @Panzer I asked about that in another thread and came up with a solution that others have done for pumps and also electric generators which are more heat generating. But what I've added is a large return and an attic exhaust fan. It also is mostly shaded so I think it will do the trick. Oh and I plan to drill like 4 pilot holes in the bottom for drainage as well..

I just really need help with the plumbing now. Electrical is almost done.

Attachments

• 20210531_194129_copy_2250x3000.jpg
    20210531_194129_copy_2250x3000.jpg
    530.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210531_194119_copy_2250x3000.jpg
    20210531_194119_copy_2250x3000.jpg
    494.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210531_194106_copy_2250x3000.jpg
    20210531_194106_copy_2250x3000.jpg
    618.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210531_194029_copy_2250x3000.jpg
    20210531_194029_copy_2250x3000.jpg
    661 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: Panzer
Question.. the 2 small black holes that are usually connected together by (I'm guessing a Y pipe) the thin clear pipe on intex pools. Those are just inlets to the pump/filter correct?

And if so I can just permanently plug those up and replace them with a Hayward skimmer as my inlet that goes to my pump/ filter correct?

Question.. the 2 small black holes that are usually connected together by (I'm guessing a Y pipe) the thin clear pipe on intex pools. Those are just inlets to the pump/filter correct?

And if so I can just permanently plug those up and replace them with a Hayward skimmer as my inlet that goes to my pump/ filter correct?
Yes. I cut mine to 1.5” and installed a strainer kit so I could use a removable threaded plug.

Can anyone review this updated drawing of one pump/filter but 2 skimmer setup?

Hopefully someone would see this and tell me if this setup is correct and looks good. I plan to start cutting in the skimmers and plumbing soon as I get back from Home Depot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210620-131649_RoomSketcher.jpg
    Screenshot_20210620-131649_RoomSketcher.jpg
    394.3 KB · Views: 8
probably overkill for that pool but when does that stop us intex owners? LOL make sure you have ball valves so you can adjust or turn on off if it isn't working. best location is facing into the prevailing wind.

oh I see you have a three way, that should do it.

probably overkill for that pool but when does that stop us intex owners? LOL make sure you have ball valves so you can adjust or turn on off if it isn't working. best location is facing into the prevailing wind.

oh I see you have a three way, that should do it.
Lok Oh I'm still putting ball valves at each of the skimmers and I did that part yesterday. But thanks I truly appreciate the help. 2x's now lol.

Attachments

• 20210619_164234_copy_2250x3000.jpg
    20210619_164234_copy_2250x3000.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210619_164229_copy_2250x3000.jpg
    20210619_164229_copy_2250x3000.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: Pv2 and kellyfair
I like this set up much better!
Thanks @kellyfair I really took your advice and it started to make sense. I still plan to add the 2nd pump later on but I will just cut a return in opposite the current return and use the flimsy 2 intex inlets and Y pipe for the intake... I'll draw that up later

Reactions: kellyfair
Here is the 2nd pump added and eyeball placement. Hopefully it makes sense

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210620-131649_RoomSketcher.jpg
    Screenshot_20210620-131649_RoomSketcher.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 8

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.