Can someone explain no wheel cleaners with new pebble finish? -- and when is it safe to use heater?

MamaC4

May 7, 2020
Dover, MA
Day 12 with our new pebble finish in 20+ year old pool, I think it's StoneScapes, but I have doubts that we got the "brand name" finish because finisher never gave me any legit (in writing) guidance, but I have been doing my best to follow NPC/StoneScapes start-up procedure. Unfortunately, had my old pump fail on day 3, so water had no circulation but I did brush 2x daily and maintained water chemistry. Fortunately, new Hayward Super Pump XE has been great since installed on day 5. Finish looks good but I'm still getting dust and landscapers finishing stonework around the pool dropped some super gritty sand in the deep end. At the direction of another TFP member I purchased a brush only vac head because guidance indicates no automatic or manual cleaners with wheels for the first month. Why?! I can't imagine that the finish is soft enough for impressions from said wheeled devices, but I assume they tell us this because someone has done it and ruined the pebble finish.
I plug my far skimmer with a ball, increase pump to 100%, and still can't seem to get good suction with the manual brush, maybe because it's actually lifted a bit off the surface unlike a roller head.... so the sand is just being moved around as I attempt to suck it up. Any tips? I've been spoiled being able to just throw the Polaris in the water for a few hours and it gets everything.
NPC/StoneScapes says no heater until there is no plaster dust in the pool. I am seeing less, but since I'm not using the vac how do I know it's not also dirt? Is it safe to assume that after brushing well 2x for 2 weeks I can use my heater?

At the direction of another TFP member I purchased a brush only vac head because guidance indicates no automatic or manual cleaners with wheels for the first month. Why?!
From Plaster Installation and Maintenance - Further Reading

Why no wheeled cleaner for first 30 days? Plaster is sufficiently hard once the pool is full of water. Pool cleaners can be installed and utilized after about two days if there is no plaster dust forming. The reason that tracks develop is usually from plaster dust being "packed down" by the pool cleaner wheels and then not removed by brushing. So it can look like an "indention" (and discolored) but it is not an indention. Brushing afterwards can help prevent the plaster dust from sticking on the plaster.

Best practice is to wait for 2 weeks to avoid the issue entirely...not everyone remembers to brush or to brush diligently, so to avoid the issue...
From Start-up New Plaster

• Do not use any automated cleaning system, built-in or robotic, during the first two weeks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.