Can salt addition cause bad CH readings?

Skiddy

Gold Supporter
May 17, 2017
Seminole Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
My salt level dropped below suggested levels probably due to so much rain water dilution and draining so I added a couple bags to get back up to the 3000 ppm range. However I was doing a full water test today and while all other levels are spot on my CH is about 5x the recommended range? I tested again and got the same reading. Any chance this is due to salt additions? I checked CH about 3-4 weeks ago and it was spot on range. I did have to slam the pool due to algae a few weeks prior also.

I used liquid chlorine for the slam. I raised the PPM near 25 ppm and followed the slam instructions for the next few days and it did the trick. As far as the test numbers go-
FC 4.5
pH 7.6
TA 60 I just noticed this was low, I dont know how I missed that but after retesting 60 ppm is correct
CH 250 now unless my Taylor K-2006 test kit is compromised it took 24-25 drops of R-0012 to go from red to blue?
sorry I just saw that I read the chart wrong but still rather high

Last edited:
A CH of 250 with a plaster pool is at the minimum. Be careful going any lower. In your climate it might be best to raise the CH to 350 ppm or so.

Reactions: Skiddy
OK I am my own worst enemy today. Im staring at the chart in my Taylor book and looking at the TA range instead of CH. I guess I should probably just memorize all the ranges so I dont need to keep checking that book.
Now having said that MK, I notice the recommended ranges in the chart for CH is 200-400 but you say 250 is low? What about TA it says I should be 80-100?

Thank you for that I assumed there was one set of guidelines for all water chemistry. Lets hope TFPC guidelines match up with the franchise where I get my monthly water chemistry printouts from to satisfy my Pebble Tec warranty.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.