Can pool leak detection DIY?

Blue Horse

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 5, 2015
Fremont, California 94539
My pool appears to have a leak somewhere, as my CYA level drops from 60 to zero every year (or maybe sooner like 6 months).

Is it fairly straightforward DIY job using a pool leak pressure test kit?

Any recommendation of the testing kit? I see Amazon sells kit under $100, and there are kit cost $400 to $800 online as well. My pool is 19K gallons, plus above the ground spa/waterfall.

I used a contractor 3 years ago to find a leak. It costed around $800.

Thanks!
Julius

Are you also seeing a similar reduction in your salt levels?
Do the bucket test to see if you are losing water

Test Kits Compared
The TF-Pro Salt would work well for you.
And guaranteed fresh reagents.
Buying testkits from Amazon can easily lead to reagents that are expired or expire soon.

My pool appears to have a leak somewhere, as my CYA level drops from 60 to zero every year (or maybe sooner like 6 months).

Is it fairly straightforward DIY job using a pool leak pressure test kit?

Any recommendation of the testing kit? I see Amazon sells kit under $100, and there are kit cost $400 to $800 online as well. My pool is 19K gallons, plus above the ground spa/waterfall.

I used a contractor 3 years ago to find a leak. It costed around $800.

Thanks!
Julius
Turn off the autofill and see where the water level stops. Good chance thats where your leak is.

Will do bucket test soon.

Meanwhile, can @Bperry elaborate on "Turn off the autofill and see where the water level stops. Good chance thats where your leak is."? I mean how do I know exactly where the leak is located in the plumbing?
Dont assume its in the plumbing. 😉

If the water stops dropping when it gets below the skimmer, its a good indication theres a leak in the skimmer. Same for a light fixture or a return fitting.

The leak guy i sooke to saod most leaks are at thr skimmer joint to pool shell.