Can I use intex sand filter with summer waves in wall filter?

Cheetos82

Jun 12, 2016
MUSKOGEE, Ok
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
Been a while since I’ve been here. We moved a year and a half ago and I sold my pool and all my accessories and testing kit. Boo hoo
Kids want a pool again. I’m not convinced as no one will help me clean it. Vacuuming was really my only issue. I have rheumatoid arthritis and was difficult to be consistent.
So tips for trouble free vacuuming is welcomed
I would be considering getting another 16x48 ultra.
The summer wave pools seem to have an in wall filter with slimmer. Is there anyway to use that with intex sand filter and saltwater system?

You would need something like the link below. You'll unscew the bottom of the skimmer and remove the pump. Replace the bottom with the supplied parts and install the new in and out hoses. Then attach your sand filter to the port where the stock hose was. I just did this to add a larger Intex pump and swg to my 16x48.

As far as RA goes, I find doing all the pool maintenance from inside the pool to be the easiest way to go. I have RA too.

The water makes you slow down your movements and supports you, taking a lot of pressure and weight off your joints. I vac'ed and brushed my pool on Thursday, and all that happened to me was sore shoulders and arms (I'm woefully out of shape). No flare, no achy hands and feet, no worsening of RA symptoms.

In fact, rheumatoid arthritis is the main reason I got a pool, after fighting for it for years. Exercise that's low or no impact, relaxation, a place to meditate and do all those mind-body things they tell you to do.

Try looking at the pool as your friend instead of as a nuisance. Do the maintenance from inside the pool. Have a set time for Me time, no kids in the water. Best of luck to you!

Thank you. May be different this time around. Before I ended up in. Flare where I couldn’t lift my arms and hardly walk. That’s what I used to do was get I. Pool to clean.

Whew that’s costly. Thank you for the reply!

It can be cheaper if the hoses that come with the Intex filter are the same diameter as the fitting on the skimmer and pool outlet. I didn't think about this and now I have an extra set of hoses. I've also seen someone remove the pump and block the hole with the black stopper that comes with the skimmer, not sure if that works long term though.

Last edited:
Can I reuse the sand. If I did do I just backwash it? It’s wet and a little green.

Attachments

• 3478FFDF-A672-424A-BD3D-D340F49E00D9.jpeg
    3478FFDF-A672-424A-BD3D-D340F49E00D9.jpeg
    426 KB · Views: 12

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Been a while since I’ve been here. We moved a year and a half ago and I sold my pool and all my accessories and testing kit. Boo hoo
Kids want a pool again. I’m not convinced as no one will help me clean it. Vacuuming was really my only issue. I have rheumatoid arthritis and was difficult to be consistent.
So tips for trouble free vacuuming is welcomed
I would be considering getting another 16x48 ultra.
The summer wave pools seem to have an in wall filter with slimmer. Is there anyway to use that with intex sand filter and saltwater system?

Instead of getting the conversion parts listed above it might be about the same price or cheaper to get the Hayward skimmer and eyeball and hard plumb the new Intex filter and SWG in the pool. The only thing I might be worried about is if the Summer Wave pool skimmer is larger than the Hayward skimmer. I have no personal experience with that pool. Good luck.

What does the sand filter and sand smell like? I'm not convinced using sand that wasn't from a TFP pool is worth the money savings of a couple bags of sand. I poured out a used sand filter yesterday, after backwashing when it was on another pool and it was filled with fir needles, and smelled badly of chloraimine. Gross. New sand for me.

I second @Blacklisted's advice that you may be able to get a Hayward skimmer if it's the same or larger than the summer waves skimmer hole, but you'll still need to buy the adapter for the bottom of the Hayward skimmer. Those are less than $10 for two at Amazon. The skimmer kit is $35 on Amazon. A little cheaper than that conversion kit.

I can get back to you with the dimensions on the Hayward skimmer, but you may want to open the box of the pool before you buy it and check the included skimmer dimensions.

I did this last summer. I bought an Intex Sand filter/pump and then modified the Summer Waves Skimmer to work with it. I don't have any pictures, but what I did was remove the skimmer from the pool. Remove the threaded ring on the bottom of the skimmer. That will allow you to remove the pump. The pump base has a square key that must match up with the skimmer housing or you cannot get it to seal, so I cut the pump out of the housing and then used the bottom of the pump housing to reseal the skimmer. I then used some PVC pipe and hard plumbed that to the pump location. I also hard plumbed back to the return. I used some short pieces of flexible water tubing to connect to the skimmer outlet and the return inlet. In all, I think I spent about $50 for the pipe and fittings that I used. It was probably a two hour project in all.

Reactions: frogabog
I wanted to pose a solution to this that I found sort of by accident. I have a summer waves pool with the pump/skimmer/filter in the wall. I bought a summer waves salt system on clearance last year ($30!!) I bought the big intex sand filter on fb marketplace ($50!!!) In the summer waves salt system box, there were 2 adapters for multiple sized hoses. SO. I removed the motor from the skimmer, stuck the black plastic plate that covers the hole into the place where the motor was, then used the salt system adapters to use the original pool hoses in and out of the intex pump/filter and pump. a tupperware lid can easily cover the hole if need be, and when I am ready to add the salt system, it will fit the summer waves hoses already attached. So if you happen to see the salt water system on clearance, it will have the adapters you need for the pump for less than amazon, and include the salt cell too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.