Bronze Supporter
Jan 2, 2020
central america
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
My pool is finally finished as of a week, using Diamond Brite for interior finish. I've been following all the start up procedures and testing every day. My pH & ALK are OK but chlorine is 0 I used 4 gallons of household bleach and it made no difference. My 'advisor' says I need to Shock it, but I read somewhere not to do that for 30 days with a plaster pool.
What should I be doing to get CL levels up?

Do you have any CYA/stabilizer in the water? Without CYA the suns UV rays will consume your FC in a day. You should put 30-40 ppm of CYA in your pool using the sock method.

What % chlorine is the household bleach you are using?

What startup guide are you following?

Most startup guide recommend keeping FC at 3 ppm or less for the first 30 days. Higher levels of chlorine can bleach the color out of your plaster.

Thanks for your response. I did read that start-up guide. The problem is where I'm located in Honduras there is no local pool store. In a week I will be in a bigger city and able to get some CYA and some Calcium Hypochlorite 70% which is what the people who applied the Diamond Brite suggested. I haven't even moved the CL test off 0 so do you think I should just add another 4 gallons of the household bleach I can get here? Sorry, I don't know what % concentration it is, but have added 4 gallons already with no noticeable change, in a 7400 gal pool. Oh, I dod have a couple of chlorine pucks in a floater too. I'll be away for a week so hopefully all will keep until I return

Thanks for your response. I did read that start-up guide. The problem is where I'm located in Honduras there is no local pool store. In a week I will be in a bigger city and able to get some CYA and some Calcium Hypochlorite 70% which is what the people who applied the Diamond Brite suggested. I haven't even moved the CL test off 0 so do you think I should just add another 4 gallons of the household bleach I can get here? Sorry, I don't know what % concentration it is, but have added 4 gallons already with no noticeable change, in a 7400 gal pool. Oh, I dod have a couple of chlorine pucks in a floater too. I'll be away for a week so hopefully all will keep until I return
Make sure the bleach is plain, no fabric softeners, cloromax technology, or scents, or dyes. Assuming you can’t get a better test kit like the Taylor, stay away from the strips.

I haven't even moved the CL test off 0 so do you think I should just add another 4 gallons of the household bleach I can get here? Sorry, I don't know what % concentration it is, but have added 4 gallons already with no noticeable change, in a 7400 gal pool.

How long after you add the chlorine do you do the test?

If you are using test strips to try and measure the FC then you are working blind. You problem can well be that the test strips are inaccurate.

And without knowing the concentration of the bleach we can't do any calculations for you. That bleach could easily be 3%-5% chlorine. Or maybe less depending on how old it is and its storage conditions.

1 gallon of 3% bleach in your 7,400 gallon pool should raise the FC by 7.4 ppm.

I would put a gallon of bleach in daily until you can get a better test kit.

Post pics of the labels on the bleach bottle.

How long after you add the chlorine do you do the test?

If you are using test strips to try and measure the FC then you are working blind. You problem can well be that the test strips are inaccurate.

And without knowing the concentration of the bleach we can't do any calculations for you. That bleach could easily be 3%-5% chlorine. Or maybe less depending on how old it is and its storage conditions.

1 gallon of 3% bleach in your 7,400 gallon pool should raise the FC by 7.4 ppm.

I would put a gallon of bleach in daily until you can get a better test kit.

Post pics of the labels on the bleach bottle.
Label247207402_1106749000152740_5182033574189096668_n.jpg shows 2.5 - 5% sodium hydroclorite. I've used 4 gallons already so if it should raise by 7.4 ppm somethings wrong. Maybe as you said the bleach is old?

I wish they gave better info. But the good news is I bought 2 more bottles at a different location and after adding them, I finally got a reading of 2 ppm, which I think is a good one for 1st 30 days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.