Can I put flow meter here?

rebman

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 21, 2011
I'd like to put a FlowVis flow meter in my system and it sounds like you can just replace an existing spa check valve with it.

I just want to verify for my system. See picture. Can I put the retrofit FlowVis where the check valve is?

IMG_0091.jpg

The retrofit flovis meters i am familiar with only work on jandy and Pentair check valves so if the check valve you are refering to in your picture is the item at the lower right, you will need a complete floviz not the retrofit version.

r,

Not sure why you need a flow meter, but depending on your plumbing replacing the spa check valve may not give you what you want...

I would think that you would want to know the flow from the pump and not just what water you are sending to the Spa..

What are you trying to accomplish?

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Jim: I'd like to plot flow rate vs wattage on the pump at various RPM to see where it's most efficient. Also, I'd like to see approx. how much pump time it takes to circulate my pool.

- - - Updated - - -

Poolgate: The screw top in the lower right is the check valve.

Not sure why I thought the Jandy would fit on my check valve, especially since my other valves are Jandy and the Ortega looks nothing like my Jandy valves. Losing my mind.... :crazy:

R,

It sounds to me like you believe the old Pool Store myth that you have to have x turnovers of your pool water per day. Many do, but it is just not true... Chemicals are what keeps your pool clear and sanitized, not the number of times you pass water through the filter..

Here are the main reason to run a pump....

1. To keep surface debris moving and being pushed into the skimmers. The more debris the more often you need to run the pump.

2. If you have a Salt Water Chlorine Generator (SWCG) you'll need to run it long enough to generate the amount of chlorine needed.

3. To circulate the water to ensure the chlorine is effectively distributed throughout the pool. Two or three hours per day is all that is needed for this to happen in most pools.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Jim,

Never heard of that myth. I run my pump the least amount I can to save money. I'm a research chemist at a water treatment plant, so I'm up to speed on water chemistry/disinfection. ;)

Mainly I'm curious about my flow rate and pump efficiency and like gadgets, so hooking up a flow meter sounds fun and interesting. I'd like to plot RPM vs flow rate and also flow rate vs. wattage just to see what it looks like.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jim,

Never heard of that myth. I run my pump the least amount I can to save money. I'm a research chemist at a water treatment plant, so I'm up to speed on water chemistry/disinfection. ;)

Mainly I'm curious about my flow rate and pump efficiency and like gadgets, so hooking up a flow meter sounds fun and interesting. I'd like to plot RPM vs flow rate and also flow rate vs. wattage just to see what it looks like.

R,

I'll keep that in mind the next time I need some chemical help.. I have a difficult time just trying to spell "Chemistry" :p

I'm all about gadgets and pool toys myself, so I fully understand... I was just trying to make sure that you were not trying to solve some other issue by installing a flow indicator..

Thanks for the feedback..

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.