Can I just use flat outdoor paint over kool deck type concrete

Jun 9, 2017
las vegas, nv
Hi,

Pool deck is an almost white and with 7 years of use..I can see the grey concrete under..also, whoops..had a metal chair that stained it too..

I did a sample of a flat outdoor paint (matched color at lowes) and seems to be ok..not slippery or anything.

Can I just do this?? If it fades or cracks or whatever..I will then easily be able to touch up.

Thanks!

Sadly normal latex paint will not survive and most likely flake off very quickly.

Not sure what your current pool deck is coated with. If it is the Kool deck product, that has a finite life and then must be removed and reapplied. The down side to that product.

Take care.

I would try to remove all the old stuff so the new coating has a chance to bond to the concrete. Power wash to remove as much as you can and use a concrete etching product to help the new coating stick. Be careful because the etching product contains muriatic acid. Use a product designed for concrete and sun exposure.

I'm near Vegas, I just grinded off all the "spray deck" material from my concrete, it was flaking and peeling, we were going to re-spray the texture and paint with pool deck paint...until we discovered our concrete is not in good shape, so we are taking it all out...but we already bought some of the materials to do the texture, they are available locally. If you can and want to DIY a spray deck, this is what we were going to use Texture-Top - Polymer Cement Decorative Concrete Resurfacing | BuyRhino.com and this is where we bought it in town http://www.concreteaccessoriesinc.com/location.php. We rented a large industrial concrete grinder from Ahern for a day for a couple hundred bucks, did the small areas with an angle grinder by hand. If you don't want to DIY a new textured deck and just paint the existing one anything you use may not hold up for very long without proper surface prep, power washing and acid etching may work for some coating, but grinding off the old surface, then power washing and also acid etching will work better for anything you choose. It all depends on how long you want it to last and how often you want to deal with touch ups.

For just recoating with some kind of paint, we looked at these options-
SEAL-KRETE® Textured Paints for Concrete
Solid Color Concrete Stain for Your Project | Behr
Non-skid additive if you want to add it Non-Skid Floor Finish Additive | Behr

We bought a can of this 4 years ago just to try it out and painted it over our existing spray deck in a small area without any prep other than washing, it held up great and was harder to remove than the old spray deck was. Reviews are mixed on it adhering well and lasting awhile though.
Shop Rust-Oleum Restore Tintable Resurfacer (Actual Net Contents: 116-oz) at Lowes.com

You can see this product on a sample board at Home Depot, it's kind of sand paper-ish and we thought it would be too gritty.
BEHR Premium 5 gal. #GG-13 Pebble Sunstone Decorative Concrete Floor Coating-65505 - The Home Depot

Any of those or something similar like the pool deck paint you linked is going to hold up better than a flat latex paint that isn't meant for a concrete deck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.