Can I convert to saltwater?

JBSurfer

Dec 30, 2019
Wilmington, NC
We have a saltwater 8000 semi in ground pool from the pool factory. 3rd season. Chlorine the last 2. We are also on the coast of NC and have an inlet we can see from our house. We have been hesitant to go to a saltwater chlorine generator because a few years ago we had an intex pool that we ran a generator in and the frame rusted before the next season. Did it rust because of the generator, the salt air from the ocean, or a combination or something else? Should I be okay going saltwater this year and if so, any precautions and any recommendations? We have a 27 ft semi in ground that should be around 17000 gallons. I run the pump usually 8 hours during the summer months. It is a cartridge pump.

Thanks in advance. Would like to decide before we open in the next week.

More than likely the previous item rusted from the basic (low quality) metal compounds it was fabricated from and not the low sodium content used in the water to support the SWG. It's also possible the moisture/salt air content from the coast influenced the potential for corrosion. Not all metals (or pools) are created equal, and some metals are simply more rust resistant than others.

Reactions: JBSurfer
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.