Can I change my plumbing to PVC?

arehs9

Apr 9, 2020
Michigan
Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to pools, the plumbing that came with the pool is this hard plastic that it held on with hose clamps. I'm not a big fan (constant leaking and I had a hose break) I would like to change to Hard PVC, but the ends don't really look like I can put PVC on them.

Would I be able to change this over so that I can change it over to PVC? should I just stay with my current set up?

Thanks!

20200408_153838.jpg20200408_125831.jpg20200408_125717.jpg20200408_125833.jpg

Doughboy offers a Hard Plumb Kit for doing what you want to do, but you can also buy Fernco couplings that will do the same thing. It's basically just rubber couplings that you use to attach to the barbed fittings and to PVC pipe.

If you go that route, I'd suggest that you double clamp both sides of the coupling.

Doughboy offers a Hard Plumb Kit for doing what you want to do, but you can also buy Fernco couplings that will do the same thing. It's basically just rubber couplings that you use to attach to the barbed fittings and to PVC pipe.

If you go that route, I'd suggest that you double clamp both sides of the coupling.
Just to make sure I understand, you are subjecting to use fernco coupling (double the clamps) and use that to attach my PVC runs to the connections? Seems like an easy solution!

Yes, that is correct. I know a lot of people say that Fernco couplings aren't made for pressure installations, you won't see enough pressure in the plumbing to harm the couplings. And yes use two clamps on each end for a total of 4 clamps on each coupling.

P.S. I would remove the electrical tape on the fittings and clean it off as best you can.

Reactions: arehs9
Yes, that is correct. I know a lot of people say that Fernco couplings aren't made for pressure installations, you won't see enough pressure in the plumbing to harm the couplings. And yes use two clamps on each end for a total of 4 clamps on each coupling.

P.S. I would remove the electrical tape on the fittings and clean it off as best you can.
Awesome, thank you for the help. Would you recommend flexible or rigid PVC?

I recommend rigid, but I have no issue with Flex PVC as long it's schedule 40.

I've heard stories about termites eating through flex, but I live in the termite capitol and I've never seen them eat through flex PVC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.