Can I add CYA using pucks?

Okay NVM. If a 3 inch puck is 8oz and a 1 inch puck is .5 oz then my math dividing the 3.9 into 3 to find the effects of adding CYA of my 1 inch tabs won't work. My math is good enough to figure out that my math is wrong, at least 😂
Okay, so if I need 4-1 inch pucks to equal 1-3 inch puck, then I need to divide 3.9 by 4, and that means I'm raising my CYA by approx 1 ppm from each 1 inch puck. Does that sound right? 🤔

Last edited:
NVM that
Okay, so if I need 4-1 inch pucks to equal 1-3 inch puck, then I need to divide 3.9 by 4, and that means I'm raising my CYA by approx 1 ppm from each 1 inch puck. Does that sound right? 🤔
Nvm, that's wrong too. I don't know what I was thinking.
I give up and I'm getting frustrated and angry so I'm just going to go to bed.

But seriously my zip code is in Maryland which is the UNITED STATES so I don't understand why the app is giving my units in grams!!

I am very bad at math and I depend on the calculators. I paid for the app for just that reason. Is there a way to figure it out on the old pool math format?

I'm getting so stressed bc I leave Monday morning and I have spent so much time trying to figure this out to get nowhere. Time that I am supposed to be packing and getting things ready. 😭

Before I go to bed, I will leave a last question ... Does anyone know of a (not too complicated) mathematical formula that I can apply and just fill in the variables to find out how much CYA and chlorine a 1inch puck will add to my pool? Thanks. Sorry to be such a pest. I'm just so lost and frustrated.

After an absolutely grueling three weeks, I just got my pool looking awesome! And now I have to leave it unattended for days without knowing the proper chemical dosage to put in. I'm so bummed. I want to cry.

Last edited:
Well, after some sleep and a cup of coffee, I tried a couple more things. I added a new pool to see if the units would correct itself. No dice. Then I uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Still no dice.

Before I go to bed, I will leave a last question ... Does anyone know of a (not too complicated) mathematical formula that I can apply and just fill in the variables to find out how much CYA and chlorine a 1inch puck will add to my pool? Thanks. Sorry to be such a pest. I'm just so lost and frustrated.

After an absolutely grueling three weeks, I just got my pool looking awesome! And now I have to leave it unattended for days without knowing the proper chemical dosage to put in. I'm so bummed. I want to cry.
I think we become ingrained to think of pucks as Kryptonite to our pools. For your situation, they have a good purpose. If it goes a little over your kept target with a few pucks, that's ok, harmless, it will come back down later. It's sunny here and I lose 10ppm CYA a month, so every so often I take a week or two off from the jugs and feed it tabs in my tab feeder. If only gone for a few days, I can't see how one could even discern the amount added or subtracted on a test. We really don't even know our true starting point at those levels.

Reactions: Wendy3tkl
I think we become ingrained to think of pucks as Kryptonite to our pools. For your situation, they have a good purpose. If it goes a little over your kept target with a few pucks, that's ok, harmless, it will come back down later. It's sunny here and I lose 10ppm CYA a month, so every so often I take a week or two off from the jugs and feed it tabs in my tab feeder. If only gone for a few days, I can't see how one could even discern the amount added or subtracted on a test. We really don't even know our true starting point at those levels.
Thank you for your reply. I guess I'll just throw as many pucks as I can then. It is hard for me to switch from being so precise and working so hard, to just blindly throwing stuff in my pool and hoping it turns out okay.

Its not just the CYA, without the Effects of Adding feature working, I can't even figure out how much chlorine each puck adds.

Everything was going smoothly, until I hit the roadblock with the incorrect units on the app.

I guess I'll just have to throw some pucks in there and pray for the best. I admit, I REALLY don't like the idea and it fills me with anxiety, but it looks like I have no choice since the app is useless (for me anyway.)

I wonder if I pay for it again and install it on another device, if the units will be correct. I guess I'm not ready to give up yet. Lol

@Wendy3tkl For every 1oz of Trichlor you will raise FC by 0.8 and CYA by 0.5. 1 oz is qty 2 of 1 inch tablets based on what I could research.
2 oz (4 pucks) it will be FC by 1.8 and CYA by 1ppm
3 oz (6 pucks) it will be FC by 2.4 and CYA by 1.5
4 oz (8 pucks) it will be FC by 3.2 and CYA by 1.9
5 oz (10 pucks) it will be FC by 4.0 and CYA by 2.4

Data is from pool math and I used pool volume of 8600 gals and chemical as Trichlor.

Reactions: Wendy3tkl
@Wendy3tkl For every 1oz of Trichlor you will raise FC by 0.8 and CYA by 0.5. 1 oz is qty 2 of 1 inch tablets based on what I could research.
2 oz (4 pucks) it will be FC by 1.8 and CYA by 1ppm
3 oz (6 pucks) it will be FC by 2.4 and CYA by 1.5
4 oz (8 pucks) it will be FC by 3.2 and CYA by 1.9
5 oz (10 pucks) it will be FC by 4.0 and CYA by 2.4

Data is from pool math and I used pool volume of 8600 gals and chemical as Trichlor.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!
That's exactly what I needed to be back in the saddle again!! 🤠 💃

I'm still holding a major grudge against the Pool Math App tho lol

Another thing to understand is that floaters and tab feeders are not direct dosage. They are very imprecise. Where they sit in the flow, flow rate over, exposure in feeder, etc.... affects how fast they dissolve and at what rate chlorine is being added. Best thing to do is test and record using some tabs so you know exactly what to expect.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Another thing to understand is that floaters and tab feeders are not direct dosage. They are very imprecise. Where they sit in the flow, flow rate over, exposure in feeder, etc.... affects how fast they dissolve and at what rate chlorine is being added. Best thing to do is test and record using some tabs so you know exactly what to expect.
That's a good idea!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.