Can I add chlorine when the pump is off?

Skenn81

Apr 23, 2018
Florida
My pump runs from 10a-2pm, which is when I am at work during the week. Weekends is fine, I test and add chemicals at some point when it's running, but during the week, especially in the summer, I like to test and add multiple times. Thing is I am at work from 8 - 5. Can I test it in the morning and add the CL to the water before I leave for work and then have the pump mix it all up when it turns on a couple hours later or is this not going to work and I need to get the pump running in the morning? No one would be swimming between the time I add the liquid to when the pump turns on, so no one would be jumping into a pile of CL or anything.

Or option 2, do I just adjust the pump run times to something like 7a-11a so it is running in the morning when I am around?

We always recommend that the pump be running when chemicals are added. While it may be unlikely, chlorine is slightly heavier than water and you could theoretically stain an area of the bottom of the pool where you pour it in.

Take option 2, just reschedule you pump time to a period when you are there?

Can't you just manually turn on the pump when you add chemicals? I run mine at night, but if I add chemicals, then I will run the pump for about an hour.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.