Can cracked skimmer be repaired without breaking out concrete and replacing?

Waterfan

Bronze Supporter
Apr 30, 2018
Chattanooga, TN
Our pool is entering month 15 of construction or lack-thereof since the contractor never shows. We did find that our skimmer has a huge crack in it. He made some garbage repair that he called "schmere" that looked like white-out that didn't hold and just clogged up the pump. The leak company said they were not aware of anything that could be done outside of breaking up all our new stamped/colored coping and patio to replace the skimmer. Has anyone successfully repaired a skimmer without breaking up the concrete? We know he is never going to come through on this so it is going to be extra expense on us. And, even though our coping and patio isn't great, it is still better than what a repair job would look like.

Can you post a picture of the crack?

Marine epoxy should work although cosmetically, it may not look so great. But it is the inside of the skimmer so who cares.

There are a few ways that may work to repair it depending on the material that it's made of.

As said above, post some pictures of it and tell us the make and model and we should be able to come up with something that should work for you.

I just recently discovered what I think is an amazing product for repairs called Plast-aid - it bonds to PVC really well and is able to fix cracks. Plus, it can be molded/formed easily to look decent as it is hardening. I found it pretty easy to work with and fixed a leak on my hot tub/spa. I would suggest using it before trying epoxy if your skimmer is PVC.

As others have already posted put up some pictures and the more experienced users here can help you figure this out.

No, our pool is not finished yet after 15 months. We have just parted ways with the previous contractor and are trying to decide how best to move forward with the long list of items he never addressed/finished - this is just one item. The last leak detection company he sent out put some epoxy on it (to see how much water we are losing from other sources) so I cannot get a good picture of the crack. My husband was looking to see if he had a picture of it before it was temporarily sealed. One company we called did recommend the Plast-aid so we ordered it and will give that a try.

If you go the Plast-aid route you may need to get the epoxy off of the crack area, if there is any where you need to do the repair, since I don't think they are compatible. The Plast-aid is acrylic based and has solvents that help it bond to PVC and epoxy could interfere with that.

There are some good Youtube video clips that the Plast-aid company has on their site - this is a good video here

Reactions: Waterfan
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.