Can Cal Hypo "ruin" my SWG?

el_steak

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 15, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
I use a SWG for my pool and it works very well to maintain my chlorine level.

I do however use other forms of chlorine (bleach or cal hypo) to open my pool in the spring and for the occasional shock when I neglect to monitor my FC and let it go too low (very rare I promess ;).

So I stopped by the pool store tonight to buy a small bucket of Cal-Hypo and during the conversation, I told the pool guy that I have a salt pool. He immediately told me that I should never use cal-hypo in a salt pool and that it's going to ruin my SWG. He instead tried to sell me a "chlorine-free" shock product (oxypro?).

My BS detector went right on and I decline his offer and bought the cal-hypo anyways, to his utter dismay.

I know that cal-hypo will raise the CH in my pool over time, but I have a vinyl pool and its low anyways so this is a non issue for me. Still, are there any risks to my SWG if I do the occasional shock with cal-hypo ?

Confirms what I thought. Thanks to TFP for honing my pool BS detector.

I'm pretty sure that 99% of the customers would have believed him and bought the more expensive Oxy stuff instead.

Kind of reminds me of my last experience at BestBuy where the guy told me that if I didn't buy the 250$ Monster "Clean Power Filter" power bar I was going to destroy my new LCD TV and get dead pixels all over the place. I didn't fall for it, but my folks would certainly have.

I see more and more of those FUD-based (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) sales tactics and it really annoys me. :grrrr:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.