HeatherEG

Sep 10, 2021
Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I recently had some light brown slime on my filter cartridges. We had to do a partial water change, so while the water level was low, I took a look in the light well. I found this light brown, bubbly or bumpy, slime layer on every surface. I looked at a bunch of algae pictures online but couldn’t find a match. Has anyone here seen this before?

I sprayed it all with chlorine and the next day, as soon as the pool was full and the pump running again, we brushed and vacuumed it all out. I’ve cleaned the filters twice since then and no slime, just some brown scum that looks like dead material, and less with each cleaning.
I have a 15,000 gallon fiberglass pool that’s just a little hazy. The photo below was taken today. As near as I can tell, the haziness is caused by billions of minuscule bubbles that are everywhere in the pool. Other than that, I think the water is clear.

I’m awaiting the arrival of a good test kit so can’t give you great numbers, but
total chlorine is at least 3ppm (that’s as high as my test kit goes)
PH is 7.6
Alkalinity is either in the 80’s (pool store and test strips) or 200 (my Pentair basic test kit).469FCA62-82EC-4EF7-A6E4-452AEFAAF04E.jpegF3EF99F4-E1A0-4939-9938-74C16B3C62E7.jpeg

You appear to have algae, hence the cloudiness and algae in the niche. Once you receive your test kit, post a full set of test results for us and we'll coach you through a SLAM Process. Until then, simply add one gallon of liquid chlorine or regular bleach to the water each day. I would leave the light out so that the chlorine can get in there during the SLAM. Be sure the light (breaker) is OFF.

Don't forget to update your signature! See mine as an example.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thank you for the information. I was hoping to find out what kind of algae it was but at any rate, it's gone now. I couldn't leave the light hanging by its cord, but I have been using a squirt bottle full of chlorine to spritz a little into the well every couple of days. So far, no regrowth and the filters are now clean and not showing any trace. I had a hiccup with the new test kit--they sent the wrong one and I had to return it. I ordered the K-2006c from another store and it's due here today. I think my CYA is too high to be able to do a SLAM, so we're exploring water-changing options at the moment. I'll have better numbers by the end of the weekend.

I think I've got my signature filled out. Let me know if it's not working.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.