Can an Off Level Pool Cause Pinhole Leaks?

bryher

Jul 11, 2018
Phoenixville
Hi all, first time poster here. Exactly 1 year ago I purchased an 10' Intex Above Ground Prism Frame pool. We love it as its perfect for us. We have it installed on our patio, which is made up of pavers. The patio was purposely built to slope downwards a bit, so the pool will always be off level a bit (Havent measured the amount yet). At the end of last summer we took it down, cleaned it and packed it away in its own rubbermaid container. Took it out this year and I'm now finding a ton of very tiny, pinhole leaks in the bottom. The frame itself is level as I installed blocks under the verticals. But that doesnt prevent the liner from being out of wack.

The location of the leaks is on the 'heavy' side of the pool caused by the uneven patio. Could the extra pressure/weight be causing these leaks? There are so many not sure if its worth trying to patch or buy a new one. I've reached out to the seller, VM Innovations.

Hi, welcome to TFP! I have not heard of that problem, however if there was nothing under the liner movement from the pool could have worn spots in it. I don't know if it is an out of level problem as much as it is an abrasive foundation problem. Also the liner bottom needs to be supported. If blocks under the posts leave a gap between the pool floor and the patio the liner will fail at the floor seam.

Hi, welcome to TFP! I have not heard of that problem, however if there was nothing under the liner movement from the pool could have worn spots in it. I don't know if it is an out of level problem as much as it is an abrasive foundation problem. Also the liner bottom needs to be supported. If blocks under the posts leave a gap between the pool floor and the patio the liner will fail at the floor seam.

Thanks for the welcome and the quick reply. I completely get your point about the liner needing to be supported and knew I was running a risk by not doing that. Interesting however your comment on the abrasive foundation. I have a thin layer of padding from an old patio rug underneath 95% of the pool. It is not, however, underneath the part of the pool that has the leaks. So maybe the hard patio pavers are poking the small holes? Its hard to say if I have any leaks further underneath where the padding covers since I can't lift it up that far in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.