can ammonia survive winter in a sand filter in okla.

wilkj1

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Nov 27, 2017
okc/okla
Good morning yall. My son has a 7400 gal AG brand new liner in may this year. So fresh fill added 2 lbs cya and started him on liquid chlorine . I thought he is off to a TFP start but this wed he texted me he has a green slime coating starting on his pool . I asked him his numbers( i gave him my first tf100 i bought in dec). cus i got a new 1 he said
FC 0
he didnt do CC
TA 65
PH 7.8
CH 100
CYA 0

I went over wed night we added 1 gal of LC 10% a little old 18 065 i think waited 15 mins tested it was dark no sun FC was 11 so i went home . Came back 9 am FC 0 tested cya 0 Sun light to back as i was talking to him he mentioned last year before liner blow out he could not keep cya in his pool. Remember i didnt know TFP last year either i was having green in my new pool and was not happy fired 2 "pool guys" thank you TFP again lol.. I have seen threads on ammonia killing CYA here on TFP All we are doing now is adding LC till it holds and brushing. But i still would like to know about ammonia survival . Sorry i may not be here this morning working way up in woodward OK (storm season) it will be late when i come home may try to get a ammonia test kit somehow today But i think what we are doing is right just keeping FC up till it holds.

Good morning yall. My son has a 7400 gal AG brand new liner in may this year. So fresh fill added 2 lbs cya and started him on liquid chlorine . I thought he is off to a TFP start but this wed he texted me he has a green slime coating starting on his pool . I asked him his numbers( i gave him my first tf100 i bought in dec). cus i got a new 1 he said
FC 0
he didnt do CC
TA 65
PH 7.8
CH 100
CYA 0

I went over wed night we added 1 gal of LC 10% a little old 18 065 i think waited 15 mins tested it was dark no sun FC was 11 so i went home . Came back 9 am FC 0 tested cya 0 Sun light to back as i was talking to him he mentioned last year before liner blow out he could not keep cya in his pool. Remember i didnt know TFP last year either i was having green in my new pool and was not happy fired 2 "pool guys" thank you TFP again lol.. I have seen threads on ammonia killing CYA here on TFP All we are doing now is adding LC till it holds and brushing. But i still would like to know about ammonia survival . Sorry i may not be here this morning working way up in woodward OK (storm season) it will be late when i come home may try to get a ammonia test kit somehow today But i think what we are doing is right just keeping FC up till it holds.

Adding 128oz of 10% bleach would raise FC to 14ppm in a 7400 gallon pool. If you checked in 15 min and FC was 11ppm, it is extremely doubtful that there is ammonia in the water. What was the CC level?

With zero CYA, the sun will burn off all the FC within 30 minutes. Adding 2 lbs of stabilizer should add 30ppm to CYA. How did you add the CYA, and how long did you wait to test for it?

Sorry Dom the CYA was added by sock in front of return was tested a couple day after it dissolved showed 20 ish really hard to tell that level but then its been a couple weeks and now shows none no CYA at all this is new re agent too only a inch of rain and 1 of top off also

So do you think adding CYA now ? as all FC was lost over night and showing no cya now just has me a little confused where did it go ? thanks btw.

Is he needing to add fill water after the initial fill? Is he losing water from leaks or backwashing?

Is he needing to add fill water after the initial fill? Is he losing water from leaks or backwashing?

OP stated it was a fresh fill after a new liner (first post).

Good point on the backwash, but there would need to be a lot of backwashing/topping off to lower CYA to zero.

I would add 10ppm more of CYA and test again.

Please post a complete set of test results so we can better understand the pool. Please include:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

OP stated it was a fresh fill after a new liner (first post).

Good point on the backwash, but there would need to be a lot of backwashing/topping off to lower CYA to zero.

I don’t assume anything. Could have started with a fresh fill and the OPs son adding an inch of water every day or two thinking it was from evaporation when it was really a leak and losing the CYA.

Just want to confirm no water was added after the initial fill.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.