Can 2hp pump with 2" fittings be used on 1.5" plumbing?

JD880

Jun 20, 2014
Wayne, NJ
Hello I have an older 1.5 hp pump for my pool and a friend has new 2hp Pentair Wisperflo Pump that has 2" ports that he is going to give me. Can this be used with my existing pool plumbing that is only 1.5" throughout, using a reducer for the PVC connections? I also have a 60 sq.ft. Hayward DE filter if that matters.

My current pump is 1.5hp single speed and circulation has always been slow. Any issues with upgrading to the 2hp besides the pipe size difference? Thank you!

No issue at all other than costing more money to run... You may look into getting the V Green VS motor to put on that new pump and really get an upgrade :)

Low and slow is where it is, your filter will work better and it saves so much money using VS.. I have mine running 1500 rpm 12 hours a day now

No issue at all other than costing more money to run... You may look into getting the V Green VS motor to put on that new pump and really get an upgrade :)

Low and slow is where it is, your filter will work better and it saves so much money using VS.. I have mine running 1500 rpm 12 hours a day now

Thank you, I will look into that upgrade. Wouldn't a 2hp pump circulate the water a little faster then my current 1.5, the flow is weak right now and I have dead spots where algae constantly pops up.

Algae is a chemistry problem, not a filtration or flow problem. It may also be that algae is clogging your filter, reducing the flow through it.

I would manage the chemistry problem first, then re-assess whether the pump is actually a problem.

My pump is low and slow.. it barely moves water.. I was running 800 rpm and you could barely feel the water moving.. Algae is a chemical water problem not a pump problem :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.