Calcium Levels

Mcb

Jan 3, 2018
Chino hills, CA
I'm confused by my results. My calcium levels have been rising. It was my understanding that plaster pools would slowly absorb calcium. I'm not sure why it is increasing. 4 months ago i was at 320. 3 months ago 350. It stayed at 350 until now and it is at 450. I tested it twice... this is my first year owning the pool so I'm learning the impact of all the top off water over the summer. Could that be the cause? My city water is 100. What is my next step?

Calcium never evaporates from your pool so, even with calcium-low fill water, it will still accumulate.

Maintain your pH and TA pretty carefully. Keep pH at 7.5 (no higher) and TA around 60-80.........that should eliminate any scaling issues.

Consider further action when CH gets above say, 700 but that should be a while.

CH is going to rise with evaporation. The water leaves, the Calcium stays behind. I gain about 25 ppm per month not so far from you.

You can maintain decent chemistry up to around 800 CH if you pay close attention to pH, TA, and temperature. Just keep the CSI +/- 0.3 and you'll have no problem.

If we get rain, harvest what you can. It is Calcium-free. I direct one of the raingutter downspouts into my spa (as a settling basin) and lower the water level before/during a storm to make room.

I tried the rain gutter water. The rain was calcium free, but I was getting calcium off my roof tiles somehow. Depends on the roof, I suppose. Or maybe what collects on it. It was way better than my city water (which has a CH of 350), but I wanted better than I was getting off the roof (which tested at CH 45)! I ended up connecting my autofill system to my house's water softener. My pool's CH no longer rises at all (after the softener I get CH zero!).

As the guys point out, any calcium in the fill water, even a little, will eventually increase your CH, because none of it leaves the pool via evaporation.

Here's the experiment:

Water softener connected to auto fill, and new plaster start up. - Page 7

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.