Calcium Levels

Hmm, so it appears in my effort to reduce FC, I've let it get to a level where algae is happy.

Again, first time pool owner making newbie mistakes :roll:.

Cover back on, chlorinator back to high and some liquid chlorine also thrown in. Will do an overnight test tonight, to see where I stand.

@needsajet, you mentioned a customer of yours has a similar chlorinator to mine, what level do you suggest I set it at for summer and winter? Has 5 levels, I've just set it to 4, with 5 being the highest.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Last edited:
Hi again, my understanding is you're not doing a SLAm at the moment, but will be doing one soon when you can. Is that right?

With the SWG, under normal operating circumstances (i.e. for now until SLAM, or after SLAM), set it high and then dial back as your daily testing tells what your pool needs. So for example, if I was running 8 hrs pump time, I'd start at 100% (5 bars) and then work down. If I was running the pump a lot longer maybe I'd start lower.

I'm not home today, so unable to SLAM and monitor correctly. So thought to just throw in some liquid chlorine and run the SWG at 4 for the rest of the day to get chlorine levels back up.

Will turn the SWG back to zero tonight and do the overnight test and then reassess.

Just closing the loop on this one. I started the slam yesterday and FC levels held overnight and water is looking great. Just to be sure I'll leave the pump running all day today and I'm still at shock level.

Will turn the chlorinator back on tonight at level 4, leave the cover off and hopefully have the FC levels drift down over the next few days. Will monitor closely.

Thanks for all your help.

Last edited:
Okay. I've tested using my new reagents today and the CH level is still 150. Pool Math recommends adding 11 pounds of Calcium Chloride...11#'s! I will start off smaller than that and check as it rises but my question is what is the best source for CC? I use Clorox bleach only so no Calcium is being added with stuff like CalHypo for instance. Should I just buy straight CC and if so, where is the best value? Thanks.

Okay. I've tested using my new reagents today and the CH level is still 150. Pool Math recommends adding 11 pounds of Calcium Chloride...11#'s! I will start off smaller than that and check as it rises but my question is what is the best source for CC? I use Clorox bleach only so no Calcium is being added with stuff like CalHypo for instance. Should I just buy straight CC and if so, where is the best value? Thanks.

I can't help much but this is from the recommended chemicals page.
CH - Calcium Hardness

Calcium hardness can be raised with calcium chloride or calcium chloride dihydrate. They are available in some areas as Peladow, Dowflake, Tetra Flake, or Tetra 94, often sold as a deicer by hardware stores, and some big box stores, in colder climates. Pool stores will carry either calcium chloride or calcium chloride dihydrate under a variety of names, including Hardness Plus, Balance Pak 300, Calcium Hardness Increaser, etc. Calcium products should be spread across the surface of the deep end of the pool.

Watch out for the Clorox bleach, make sure it isn't the spashless or scented types. There is also one with Chloromax on the bottle, that one has polymers in it and not good for your pool.

The bleach is no problem. I've been buying at Costco and using for years. I appreciate your reply.

That is Cloromax. It is not recommended to be used in pools, even by Clorox! It does have polymers in it and is only 6% concentration.

As far as Calcium Chloride, since you are in California, you can search on-line or bite the bullet and buy at a pool store/big box store.
Doubt you have ice melt there.

Take care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I found 4# of Calcium Chloride at Ace Hardware for $9.99 which is not cheap. It took it from 150 to 175 so I'll need some more. What type of bleach do you use? Again, never had a problem with the Clorox from Costco. Thanks.

When I use bleach, I get Great Value plain bleach at Walmart. In the summer, they sell their Pool Essentials Chlorinating Liquid 10%. About a wash in cost. As I have a SWCG, I typically only need bleach in the winter and those days we have a number of younger persons in the pool.

I realize you have had no problems with the Clorox. I am just conveying that in discussions last summer Clorox stated their Cloromax bleach is not to be used in pools. The polymers in the bleach is an issue. And it is lower strength.

Take care.

From Clorox website:

CLOROMAX™ is our patented technology of polymers that:
• Helps reduce soil adhesion to surfaces and provides a quicker clean
• Delivers brighter and longer-lasting whites by improving performance between Clorox® Performance Bleach1 and detergents

If it states CLOROMAX Technology, I wouldn't use it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.