Calcium Hypochlorite?

ragart

Jul 11, 2018
Philadelphia, PA
I have a new pool. During my tutorial I think I remember the guy saying not to use calcium hypochlorite tabs/shock in a salt pool system. Is this correct? If so, does anyone know why? It's possible I misheard him. There was a lot of info coming quickly. Thanks.

Cal-hypo leaves Calcium behind. That can form scale on the SWG plates. And on pool walls.

If you need supplemental chlorination, use plain bleach. All it leaves behind is salt. And you lose a little salt every time someone splashes water out. So it's a win-win. Be careful not to buy bleach with any fancy additives. They do weird things like foam up.

R,

The whole point of having a saltwater pool is so that you don't ever have to use tabs of any kind.. :mrgreen:

What is your goal with the tabs??

Thanks,

Jim R.
In the peak summer months, the salt cell simply cannot keep up with chlorine demand without it running at 80-100%. Also, the salt cell will not generate chlorine in water temperatures below 60 degrees, which is where it is when the pool is opened.

Cal-hypo leaves Calcium behind. That can form scale on the SWG plates. And on pool walls.

If you need supplemental chlorination, use plain bleach. All it leaves behind is salt. And you lose a little salt every time someone splashes water out. So it's a win-win. Be careful not to buy bleach with any fancy additives. They do weird things like foam up.
Thanks! I have been using bleach to shock/supplement the salt cell, but I was wondering if the tabs would do any harm. A certain amount of calcium hardness is needed, right, so as long as I don't exceed what is recommended for calcium hardness it would be ok?

I have a new pool. During my tutorial I think I remember the guy saying not to use calcium hypochlorite tabs/shock in a salt pool system. Is this correct? If so, does anyone know why? It's possible I misheard him. There was a lot of info coming quickly. Thanks.
Were the instructions from the installer? The reason I ask.... Most SWG manufacture's instructions include warnings not to add chemicals straight into the skimmer (water leaving the pool going into the filter system), as the barrage of undiluted chemicals could possibly cause problems with/damage to the cell.

Thanks! I have been using bleach to shock/supplement the salt cell, but I was wondering if the tabs would do any harm. A certain amount of calcium hardness is needed, right, so as long as I don't exceed what is recommended for calcium hardness it would be ok?
Some recommend around 50-100ppm in a VINYL swg pool (vinyl doesn't need calcium, but do monitor the PH) to lower foaming (if it even occurs, it's more likely to happen in a hot tub)

That is correct. But it can add up real fast. 10 FC added with Cal-hypo is going to leave behind 7 CH.

Reactions: splashpad
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.