Calcium Hardness

Backcountryski

Aug 31, 2019
WA
So the manual for my hot tub/ SWG is pretty specific that it wants CH at 25-75, with 50 being ideal. Obviously not what TFP parameters are. The tub came with a product to remove the calcium if needed. My water is not bad, so I have not bothered with it, but I am curious what the experts here have to say?
Here are my latest numbers, tested with TF 100.

FC 4
CC 0.5
PH 7.5
TA 60
CH 100
CYA 50
Salt 2000 (again, the numbers the manual wants, 1750 ideal, 2000 upper limit)
Temp 102
CSI -0.71

Thoughts?

With an acrylic hot tub, there is no worry for low calcium like in a plaster spa for example (etching). That may be why your manual has such a low number. That and the fact that the CSI in a hot tub tends to spike with the hotter water and all, so the lower CH may help some owners with potential scale. So for you I suspect the biggest concern now is foaming. If your CH gets too low and you continue to see foaming, you probably need to bump it up a little more. Just something to watch.

Last edited:
Thanks for the links. I did not do an ahh-some treatment, yes I know I should. I had it filled and going....sooo, I'm just running with it. I most definatley will when I drain and fill next time. I think I am ok for now, as there is almost no chlorine loss if it is not used, water is super clear and sparkling, and has almost zero smell. My tub was built to order, locally and then driven over on a truck, so it did not sit long at all, even if it had water in the lines. I was there during install, and I can say the thing was bone dry....anyway, yes, I will do ahh-some for sure next time.

Reactions: Texas Splash
You may be right on the CH edge for foam. Have you seen this thread: How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?

You may need just a bit more - 120-130. It might help.

Also, have you done an Ahh-Some treatment recently? Ahh-some treatment

Texas-

I was pondering this the other night, and curious your thoughts (or any of the water chemistry guru's here), Would adding borates increase the surface tension of the water, and thereby help reduce foaming? 2 AM thoughts....LOL

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.