Calcium Hardness needed too often

Milord

Jul 20, 2020
Jupiter, FL
Hello! I am not expecting any brilliant revelations from this forum, so if any are forthcoming I will be grateful as well as surprised. I am 63 and I have been taking care of pools of all types since I was a child, although never professionally. Currently, I have an 18,000 gallon inground, diamond-coat, outdoor, unenclosed modified kidney with coconut palms, sable palms, tibuchina and geiger trees within leaf and flower dropping range. My skimmer works overtime. My pool service recently QUIT on me claiming my pool was too hard to keep clean, so I have taken over the task of maintaining it with mostly success, but my tests are consistently indicating I need to add 10 to 20 lbs. of calcium hardener every month. This seems excessive. The price at the local Pinch-A-Penny is outrageous for a 20 lb bag of calcium carbonate. Is there any difference between that and the calcium carbonate marketed for ice and snow melt? It's about 1/4 the price and it would make sense for me to use that and save quite a lot of money. Any thoughts?

Welcome to TFP.

How are you testing CH?

What is causing you to lose CH every month? CH should only be lost through draining water, dilution and overflow, or a leak.

You can use calcium chloride or calcium chloride dihydrate. They are available in some areas as Peladow, Dowflake, Tetra Flake, or Tetra 94, often sold as a deicer by hardware stores, and some big box stores, in colder climates. The biggest challange is confirming all ingredients to confirm there are no added chemicals you don't want in your pool water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.