Calcium Hardness levels?

Amy Adkins

Jun 8, 2019
Ohio
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi guys...just getting my pool started..pool info- 13,500 AG with sand filter. All my levels are good after testing except my Cal level..its 90. I'm using the Taylor K-2600 for testing.
PH 7.4
TA. 90
CYA 60
FC. 5

What do I need to do for the Cal level?
Thanks for any info.

Like Justin says, nothing.

Here's a tip... when using PoolMath choose "vinyl" and "TFP" and whatever your chlorine source is (You ought to fill out your signature) and it will give suggested range. If your current reading is within those suggested ranges, make the target the same as the now and move on. You can balance a pool in a hurry that way! None of this micromanaging the pool store way that does nothing but line line their pockets.

Here's a tip... when using PoolMath choose "vinyl" and "TFP" and whatever your chlorine source is (You ought to fill out your signature) and it will give suggested range. If your current reading is within those suggested ranges, make the target the same as the now and move on. You can balance a pool in a hurry that way! None of this micromanaging the pool store way that does nothing but line line their pockets.
Ok..how

Ok..filling out my signature? Is this on this forum or is that on the pool math app? Seriously, when it comes to pools, I'm like a 5 year old trying to figure this out:)

Low calcium never a problem for vinyl type pools. There is no calcium in the pool surface to pull calcium from. Totally fine and won't harm your pool. In fact, the bonus is that you can occasionally use calcium based chlorinating products like cal hypo if you don't want to lug jugs of bleach around from time to time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Using bleach. I really wanted a salt water generator but the pool people at the store where I bought my pool talked me out of it. Said in the long run, it would corrode my pool? Not so sure I believe that now.

Using bleach. I really wanted a salt water generator but the pool people at the store where I bought my pool talked me out of it. Said in the long run, it would corrode my pool? Not so sure I believe that now.
Pool stores also promote trichlor pucks, weekly shocking, phosphate removers, clarifiers and many other things. But the reason I asked is so that you can put your bleach source in your signature. I suppose the default is bleach if you don't use a SWG, like mine.

Oh..I have plenty of those 3" pucks. I think its a 25lb tub of them. I'm guessing those aren't really needed either? I just blindly bought whatever they said when I purchased the pool. Yes, was told not to use regular bleach and to shock every week. This site has been more helpful than any of the employees at that store.

If your CYA is 60 like you posted earlier, definitely do not use the pucks. Or any granular chlorine other than cal hypo. CYA already slightly high. See if the store will let you return them or exchange them for liquid or calcium hypochlorite.

Reactions: Amy Adkins
Will the CYA level come down on its own? We have had tain daily here for weeks, will that added water help?
CYA goes down about 3-5% per month due to natural breakdown. Otherwise, it only goes down by splashout, backwashing, or intentional draining -- like to keep it from overflowing from rain. 60 CYA is easily managed. Just don't raise it is all.

Ok..another question. If I keep the chlorine levels in range daily, how do I know when to shock the pool? Do you do this weekly? After a lot of swimming? After heavy rains? And is "shocking" the pool used with store bought bleach or do I need the actual stuff that says "pool shock"? I know these questions may sound crazy, but seriously..all this is really new and confusing for me :) There is just sooo much conflicting info out there.

You will know if your pool needs to be SLAMed if your combined chlorine is > 0.5 or you find your chlorine levels dropping overnight more than 1ppm or you have algae/cloudy water. Otherwise, if you maintain proper chlorine levels...never. Shock products are just chlorine with different names on the packages. Use your routine bleach product but use MORE if you are SLAMing.

Ok..another question. If I keep the chlorine levels in range daily, how do I know when to shock the pool? Do you do this weekly? After a lot of swimming? After heavy rains? And is "shocking" the pool used with store bought bleach or do I need the actual stuff that says "pool shock"? I know these questions may sound crazy, but seriously..all this is really new and confusing for me :) There is just sooo much conflicting info out there.
When to shock is easy: never. Keep the chlorine high enough consistently and you never get algae.

Most of us raise the FC before and after a big swim party, but nothing like the overdone megadose the pool store recommends as a "shock."

With the exception of chlorine gas (which only gigantic commercial pools can justify) all forms of chlorine leave something behind. They all have a carrier of some type. Trichlor and dichlor leave behind cyanuric acid - CYA - while Cal-hypo leaves Calcium. Bleach/pool chlorine/liquid shock/whatever they call it is sodium hypochlorite and only leaves behind salt.

All this chemistry talk will make sense once you get some hands-on experience testing and dosing and seeing the results.

May I
You will know if your pool needs to be SLAMed if your combined chlorine is > 0.5 or you find your chlorine levels dropping overnight more than 1ppm or you have algae/cloudy water. Otherwise, if you maintain proper chlorine levels...never. Shock products are just chlorine with different names on the packages. Use your routine bleach product but use MORE if you are SLAMing.
May I ask, do you have a salt cell or do you use chlorine? Just not for sure whether using regular bleach is best or if using the higher strengths would be best? May cost more, but I'm sure if they work better, then maintenance may be easier.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.