Calcium Hardness level with algae problem

Can I run my heater when PH is that high? I am also worried that once I do turn on the heater, algae will return as it may be harboring in heater plumbing since its been dormant for a few weeks. Cooler nights/mornings are beginning...

Water still runs through the heater core when it is off unless you turned valves to bypass the heater. There will be no algae hiding in the heater.

You can run your heater during the SLAM Process

Reactions: frogabog
Yes, the valves are turned to bypass the heater when its not running.. Does that make a difference with it possibly containing algae?

Valves turned automatically by automation or manually?

It would really help us if details of your pool was in your signature. What automation do you have?

Valves turned automatically by automation or manually?

It would really help us if details of your pool was in your signature. What automation do you have?
Manually shut off to bypass. Before switching to BBB, we used an auto chlorinator with tabs. The plumbing still runs through the empty chlorinator. I'll try to get all the specific info for the signature later today.

Attachments

• 20190812_073902.jpg
    20190812_073902.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 4
Just open the heater bypass to allow water to run through it.

Why do you bypass the heater when not running it?

Just open the heater bypass to allow water to run through it.

Why do you bypass the heater when not running it?
Not completely sure, hubby did all the plumbing and cleans/maintains the equipment. I just thought the fresh chlorine couldn't go through the heater, so he directed me to always shut off water flow through the chlorinator (which now sits empty since we do BBB method) and then let water flow through the heater only when its heating. We use it mostly ar beginning and wnd of season, and a solar cover at night (Indiana climate) I'm trying to attach photo of our set up, but it says the file is too large.

Beginning day 5. I can see bottom of ladder and can see black.leaf rake when its on bottom of pool! Lots of rain last night, pool is a good inch or two fuller

Attachments

• 20190813_082954.jpg
    20190813_082954.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20190813_083000.jpg
    20190813_083000.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 6

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not completely sure, hubby did all the plumbing and cleans/maintains the equipment. I just thought the fresh chlorine couldn't go through the heater, so he directed me to always shut off water flow through the chlorinator (which now sits empty since we do BBB method) and then let water flow through the heater only when its heating.

That sort of makes sense if you did not have a check valve between the chlorinator and heater. The tab chlorinator creates very acidic water that you don’t want to backflow through the heater. It isn’t a problem with the chlorine in the tablets but with the acid it also contains. A simple check valve prevents such backflow.

If you are no longer using the tablets you can let water circulate through the heater.
I'm trying to attach photo of our set up, but it says the file is too large.

Tun off HDR on your phone camera app. HDR creates pics too large for our system.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.