Calcium hardness hovering around 400 ppm

HRR8998

Mar 23, 2022
FL
I have a gunite salt pool and my calcium hardness hovers around 400ppm. I know this is the upper end of acceptable. When it rains or if it doesn’t rain and I have to add a little water (200ppm CH out of the hose) the CH drops for a week or 2 and then back to 400. My pool is not cloudy and I have no scum line or buildup on the tile and equipment that I can tell. Should I act on it to lower the CH or just leave it alone as long as it doesn’t go any higher? I have cartridge filter system so from what I understand I cannot floc since I can’t discharge water without going to the filter. Is draining a few inches and refilling my only option? Would a hose filter help any?

CH up to 800 is manageable.

CH of 400 is fine. My CH has been around 450 for many years.

Use PoolMath, enable CSI tracking, and keep your CSI between 0.6 and -0.6, preferable between +0.3 and -0.3,

If you're curious, use the pool math app to check CSI. For mine even with high-ish natural pH and hot summers 430 seems to be the best balance. Often I see 200 recommended, which would be way off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.