Gold Supporter
Jun 4, 2020
NYC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Just opened and finished SLAM here in the NE USA. FC = 9, cc=0, ph=7.5, ch=150, cya=45 TA=70. Target Fc is 6-7 but after slamming its taking a while to drop down.. which is a nice thing!

Anyhow, I want to work on CH now as everything else looks good. Pool math says 666 oz of calcium chloride. if I want to reach 400 CH. I take that as a bad omen. So I figure I will buy 45 lbs of Leslie's Hardness Plus for Calcium Hardness | Leslie's Pool Supplies and that should get me in the 400-450 range. However, it doesn't mention the ingredients for that and I know I can just ask the pool guy there, but he will stare at me blankly. So before I go through that, anyone can confirm its mostly calcium chloride for that product?
I have also look at home depot as per some posts here and found Bare Ground 40 lbs. Box of Calcium Chloride Pellets-BGCCP-40 - The Home Depot . However, it doesn't list the ingredients. 1 reviewer mentioned it was 100% calcium chloride. They have a good return policy so I guess I can try it and return it if need be. Anyone think this may not be the right thing?

Finally, I also want to look into getting rid of the stains in the pool and this might be a whole other topic but I figure if I am going to be adding calcium, it might affect that effort. So far all I've read here is for people to put a puck near the stain and see if it clears up or to SLAM. Well I SLAMed with FC 25+ for a few days and the stains are still there ( ). I've tried scrubbing as well but not crazy hard. The repvious owner had a company open and close and they would put all sorts of chemicals. They also applied chemicals straight onto the pool without diluting. The pools gets a lot of worms and dirt over the winter and spring. Over the winter they just stay down there and it would be my guess that is some of the stains.

Anyhow, how should I approach the stain issue? And does adding calcium affect it at all? I was thinking I would add calcium and scrub the heck of the stains once the weather warms up next month.

Ha ha, yeah, I wouldn't go with that number either. ::) In fact, I might only increase the CH to about 350 for now and check again a few days later as it's always easier to add calcium than to remove it. Calcium hardness can be raised with calcium chloride or calcium chloride dihydrate. They are available in some areas as Peladow, Dowflake, Tetra Flake, or Tetra 94, often sold as a deicer by hardware stores, and some big box stores, in colder climates. Pool stores will carry either calcium chloride or calcium chloride dihydrate under a variety of names, including Hardness Plus, Balance Pak 300, Calcium Hardness Increaser, etc. Calcium products should be spread across the surface of the deep end of the pool. Hopefully someone else from your area will post with some good local options to shop.

As for the stains, a puck is fine for organic staining, but try some Vitamin C tablets to check for iron. If you happen to have dry acid, put in a thin sock and try that for copper. If none of those seem to work, it's possible the stain is embedded within the plaster.

I got the product from home depot shipped to my house and it came in the box pictured without any information on what the materials are. Anyone have any idea if this stuff is good? I'm emailing the company...to their Gmail account... To find out. I called but it was after hours and they mentioned their Gmail.

Attachments

• IMG_20210514_172123.jpg
    IMG_20210514_172123.jpg
    407.4 KB · Views: 10
I've not used it but this stain ID kit may help you diagnose your stain issue.
Interesting, that has good reviews on amazon. Some of it says you need to reduce your chlorine to 0. What would be the best time to do something like this? I'm not sure what would happen if I reduce the chlorine to zero. How fast before the pool became green? Also it would require a slamm right after I assume and with the liquid chlorine shortage stuff I hear, I'll have to stock up before I can consider this.

Also I was thinking about doing it before closing or after opening but it says pool temp should be 65+ so that won't work. Hmm maybe there is more to do this, I got to read up on it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.