Calcium deposits?

By the way, it's not your 10-year-old you have to worry about, it's his friends! A secret club room with ladders and hatches and knobs and dials... yikes. Waaaaay to tempting for young male minds. In one of my threads I explore ways to store my pool chems. I can trust my kids around them, but I lock them up for pool parties. There is an inverse principal involved that has led to who-knows-how-many pool-related accidents: the more parents there are at a pool, the less anyone is watching the kids!

If need be, I can screw the deck cover shut. It becomes a trade off of security vs. convenience. I'm planning on adding a remote switch to manually turn on the pump, so I can turn it on when adding chemicals without needing to enter this room. At that point I'd only need to enter to backwash the filter, and in general check on things, which should be every couple of weeks at most.

Reactions: Dirk
Yes, security vs convenience. I explored that topic too, at length, a while back: gates, fences, pool covers, door alarms, pump inlets, chemical storage, electrical issues, etc. So many dangers in and about a pool, but being aware of them and safeguarding in a reasonable way is what you do. To what degree is a personal choice. It's great to have a forum like this to hear all the differing opinions...

Reactions: jesper
...and in general check on things, which should be every couple of weeks at most.

Just a thought... A couple of weeks is a long time. I find it convenient to have my gear exposed (as opposed to hidden in a shed or cabinet or underground lair) because I like to check the pump basket and gauges and valves often. Once a day if I can. I can do so in seconds, just by walking by. I have full automation on my pool, so adjusting pumps and runtimes is a breeze, from phone or computer. Something to consider for your set up. I digress, point was: maybe a strategically placed cam, with pan and zoom, would allow you to check on your gear daily, without having to crawl down into "the pit." You can get a decent one for around $50, that'll even work in the dark...

Not a bad idea with a camera to check on things. I have a spare Ethernet cable there too, so it is relatively easy to do.

However the pump basket is practically always clean - the pool has a cover that is closed except when we're in the pool, so very little end up in the skimmer baskets and pump basket. Similarly, I only need to backwash every 3-4 weeks so far.

I can go a week, even two or more, without my gear needing any attention. That's not the issue. You're checking periodically for the things that can go wrong: leaks, malfunctions, etc. Those can happen one minute after you last check your setup, so it boils down to how long are you willing to let complicated equipment run without checking on it... That's what I meant by "two weeks is a long time." Not a long time for stuff that's running as intended, but an eternity for something that is malfunctioning. $50 is cheap insurance for gear that costs thousands to replace...

I'm really talking myself into this! I'm currently testing an internal camera brand, and if it does what I need, I'll put the same brand outside, too. One in the front yard, and a second in the back. I have a location, that with pan and zoom, I'll be able to keep an eye on the pool, the equipment and the gate, from anywhere in the world. And more importantly, from my couch!! :)

Reactions: jesper
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.