Calcium Deposits Waterfall - How To Prevent

Rino1313

Apr 27, 2024
Florida
Hello Everyone!

First, thanks in advance. I have experience in construction and development and am currently building out a contemporary fountain and waterfall. I have an infinity edge hot tub with traditional tile and get calcium deposits so know the challenges.

I'd like to construct something very similar to this

Example.png

It appears that granite was used for this application. We would also like to use a dark color such as black. Is there any material that is better than another to minimize calcium buildup? Is a certain type of tile better, is granite better or is there another product? Also, can you seal a material prior to installation to help with this?

The maintenance to get to this water feature will be a little challenging (middle of a fountain pond), so it won't be as simple as walking up with pumice or some other product to get calcium deposits off as you'll need to walk through the pond to access it.

If there is no real good solution, would it be best to just use a lighter color so it's not as noticeable and therefore doesn't require as frequent cleaning?

We really want to use black, but if it'll be a continual maintenance nightmare and there isn't a good material to prevent the buildup, I'm guessing our best option is to go with a lighter color.

Looking forward to your feedback!

Last edited by a moderator:
Calcium buildup starts with water evaporation. For the top ledge consider having it cut towards the inside so to keep the ledge hydrated when not moving water. Lighter color tile will help with not noticing as much discoloration. Glass tile with small grout lines will help also, my experience is that calcium buildup will typically start on the grout lines due to the exposed sand in the mix giving the calcium areas to pocket in. Customers have found a spray product to apply to spa spillways that improve water movement and in turn reduce buildup. What is used to keep the tile clean is just as important, absolutely no type of pumice stone, that will take the glaze off of the surface and stains will only become harder to clean.

Reactions: 1poolman1