Calcium Crystals!?! First Pool Opening. Please Help

So my water is balanced but I'm keeping the PH around 7.0-7.2 in order to help the scale. I also poured in a gallon of scale remover from the pool store about a week ago. So it is getting better but not great. Today I decided to buy 200 grit sandpaper and a sanding poll. Figured it was worth a shot. Well IT WORKS. My tanning ledge, steps and swim out love seat are now smooth as a babies bottom! Someone tell me why I shouldn't be doing this because it seems like too easy of a solution!

So my water is balanced but I'm keeping the PH around 7.0-7.2 in order to help the scale. I also poured in a gallon of scale remover from the pool store about a week ago. So it is getting better but not great. Today I decided to buy 200 grit sandpaper and a sanding poll. Figured it was worth a shot. Well IT WORKS. My tanning ledge, steps and swim out love seat are now smooth as a babies bottom! Someone tell me why I shouldn't be doing this because it seems like too easy of a solution!
Vacuum up the grit and backwash it away, otherwise the dust will dissolve back into solution, just waiting to stick to the walls again.

Just saw this post. I think the same thing happened to me. Plaster was finished early June last year and when I opened last week the PH was very high. After three gallons of 32% acid (over a three day period) it went down to about 7.4. I ran
My Polaris for a couple of days and it kept filling up with what looked like crushed ice. But now reading this thread Inassume it was calcium ( although it looked more crushed than your pictures). Anyway I just ran my hand over the walls and I feel the roughness. I'll start brushing a lot (just did a quick brush tonight after I read this thread while it was dark). FYI. On opening my CH was 225, TA 60 CYA 30, FC 0.

Just when I thought everything was good....

Sanding the scale is fine. As Richard says, get it out of the pool or it will dissolve (again) into the water. The scale forms when calcium comes out of suspension in the water because of high CSI, usually from not keeping PH low enough often enough. Negative CSI will dissolve the scale back into suspension, or if there isn't scale to dissolve it will dissolve calcium from the plaster. More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling and here, Langelier and Calcite Saturation Indices (LSI and CSI)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.