Calcium build-up on spa spillover

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello to all,

First, like to wish our Louisiana nbors a speedy recovery from H Laura....

Next, our spa spillover seems to keep getting Calcium build-up in one sm area. The recent Ca reading was 225 and I keep the pH in the 7.5- 7.8 range. I took a flat-head screwdriver about 2-3 mo's ago and removed the Ca build-up w/in the grout line, but it has come back again. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Finally, I checked my City of Hou source water and it had a Ca of 125-150ppm. It's been like that since day one. If you need any pics, pls advise.

Thank you very much for your help,
tstex

Grout line above the water line? The grout is not sealed properly or cracked and water is imbibing up the line and evaporating. Evaporate scale. You can clean it off, it will come back.

Cement based grout will have this issue.

Post a picture if you can.

Thanks Marty...I'll post a few pics real soon. To answer a few questions, I am pretty sure it was never sealed. Not sure on the exact grout material type. There's a spa water line and pool water line, this area is in-btw both of them...pics OTW - thank you

Here you go. The VSP is running at 1200rpm so there is water running over spilling to pool - thx

Attachments

• 27770F2F-83CE-455B-9204-2624E31839DF.jpeg
    27770F2F-83CE-455B-9204-2624E31839DF.jpeg
    338.9 KB · Views: 46
  • EF007368-0467-4097-B7B3-A208D25A8923.png
    EF007368-0467-4097-B7B3-A208D25A8923.png
    630.6 KB · Views: 45
This appears to be on the spillover wall? How it looks, that would be efflorescence from the wall not being sealed before the tile was applied.

Any reason you run the spillover all the time?

Thanks home.

Based on the link write up, if i find a crack or pinhole, then i will seal w epoxy. If not, I’ll seal the whole thing as Marty alluded to doing. Since the epoxy i have can be used under water, no need to dry Spillover...might try that first and go from there...at least it’s not my water chemistry...Thanks again.

When I say seal, the gunite should have had a sealant applied to it on the spa side before the tile was applied.

You can set up your automation to run a Spillover function for 30 minutes or so once or twice a day to keep the spa chlorinated.
The article above explains how to set it up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
pH rise. Constant aeration can raise pH.
Skimming can also be more efficient if using the pool returns.

SLAM process is a separate condition. Full circulation of all systems need to be maintained.

Note:

When using the spillover, the 6 pool returns and pool skimmers are all operating too. The spillover is only on higher RPM''s (2450 & 1850) 2 times a day, respectively. The rest of the time is 1150 and you can barely see that it's running, but still skims. With the higher RPM's, its definitely creating aeration. On the lower RPM's, I'm sure there's some aeration, but it is very minimal.

The reason I run the spillover continuously is bc my nbor behind me has 5 tall mexican palms that drop TONS OF DEBRIS into both spa and pool. When debris goes into the spa, it spills over into the pool and is moved into the skimmers. Otherwise, it would sink to the bottom of the spa if not removed in a somewhat timely manner. I am, however, going to look bypassing the spa as Marty pointed out, during winter when the debris is less and the need for CL circulation is seasonally minimized.

Note:

When using the spillover, the 6 pool returns and pool skimmers are all operating too. The spillover is only on higher RPM''s (2450 & 1850) 2 times a day, respectively. The rest of the time is 1150 and you can barely see that it's running, but still skims. With the higher RPM's, its definitely creating aeration. On the lower RPM's, I'm sure there's some aeration, but it is very minimal.

The reason I run the spillover continuously is bc my nbor behind me has 5 tall mexican palms that drop TONS OF DEBRIS into both spa and pool. When debris goes into the spa, it spills over into the pool and is moved into the skimmers. Otherwise, it would sink to the bottom of the spa if not removed in a somewhat timely manner. I am, however, going to look bypassing the spa as Marty pointed out, during winter when the debris is less and the need for CL circulation is seasonally minimized.
We look to bypass the pool (or run them separately) in the winter! We use the spa (and heat it) a lot, and don't want to waste all that lovely warm water into the cold pool. 😁

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.