Bypass for Heat Pump install

Oct 17, 2017
Driftwood, TX
I have read most of the threads concerning this topic, but would like to see if there is a consensus.

I am about to install my new heat pump into existing plumbing, and plan to install a bypass for a "just in case" situation (all the reasons given in previous threads).

I plan to use a Jandy three way valve on the inlet side for the bypass. Is it preferable for a three way on the return side also, or would it be better to use a check valve instead. Any thoughts on pros/cons for the two options (or any other recommendations) would be appreciated.

Thanks

Using a check valve reduced the complexity with one valve to set properly for bypass or heater. With two valves you have the risk that one valve will not be turned properly and someone gets confused about the proper settings of both valves.

I just got a jandy 3 way valve to accomplish this. Want to make sure I can orient correctly. It is marked inlet on one the bottom leg of the Tee. I want to use one of the sides for the inlet, and the other side and bottom leg as the outlet and bypass leg. I think I can use the valve in the orientation I want by unscrewing the top and reorienting the handle. Is that correct? It looks like that is how yours is set up on the bypass post you linked to.

Last edited:
Any of the ports can be used as the INLET. You then unscrew the top and place the INLET mark over the port.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.