Buying From Pool Stores

crokett

Jul 17, 2007
Hillsborough, NC
I know pool stores are looked at with some disdain on this forum. However, I decided this year that when possible I am going to buy from my local pool store. They are decent and I'd like to support small businesses. I won't go nuts and get stuff I don't need like phosphate treatment, but Amazon and Walmart won't suffer if I buy a bit less from them. For example, after replacing the liner and filling the pool this year I knew I needed to get the CH way up. I paid the pool place a few bucks more for a 25lb bucket of calcium chloride rather than buy it at Amazon for 3 or 4 dollars less. I also bought the skimmer and return gaskets from them. Those were actually a lot cheaper than Amazon.

I do this too at a locally owned place - mostly just liquid chlorine (they have a great price & fresh stuff), sometimes salt, the occasional skimmer basket etc. Just no water testing (other than salt on occasion) or basing my pool care off of their recommendations. When they ask how my water looks I just say “great, Thanks 😊 “ They know me as the bleach lady 🤣🤣

It’s not a problem if you’re aware of the sales tactics/processes & go in there informed not to get informed. I treat it Kinda like a car dealership.

Reactions: Wobblerlorri
However, I decided this year that when possible I am going to buy from my local pool store. They are decent and I'd like to support small businesses
No problemos here. Know what you need, know what it will do and get it where you feel best. I enjoy getting stuffs at my mom-N-pop store. When I need a small part today, or the markup isn’t outrageous I go to them first. They actually taught me about the CYA/FC relationship way back when and sent me home empty handed dozens of times when I had pollen issues that only required filtering, before I just knew what I was looking at. Having said good relationship bumped me to the front of the line for a 2nd build with them soon.

As @Jimrahbe always says, I wouldn’t go into a Leslies to use the bathroom. (insert any pool chain equivalent here)

Why are you buying calcium for a vinyl lined pool? If the pool store told you to, that is an example of why we avoid them. Vinyl lined pools without heaters do NOT need calcium.

Otherwise, your noble actions to shop locally are appreciated.

Maddie :flower:

There is one local family owned store I’ll go to. I needed some lube the other day, so I got it from them along with some vinyl adhesive that I don’t need currently but if I ever have a leak I don’t want to be running around looking for it. There is only ever one of two family members in the store, they don’t have any employees. I avoid the chain stores.

There is one local family owned store I’ll go to. I needed some lube the other day, so I got it from them along with some vinyl adhesive
Perfect example. Jacks lube is $13 at my pool store and worth every penny on a Saturday when that last bit doesn’t want to squeeze out. I get my stuffs, have a nice chat with Mom/Pop/cousin/son in law (or whoever is there) and I’m home in 15 mins, probably with a new flamingo floaty thermometer too. :)

Reactions: Orion7319
Perfect example. Jacks lube is $13 at my pool store and worth every penny on a Saturday when that last bit doesn’t want to squeeze out. I get my stuffs, have a nice chat with Mom/Pop/cousin/son in law (or whoever is there) and I’m home in 15 mins, probably with a new flamingo floaty thermometer too. :)
Yes they also have 25 pound buckets of cal-hypo for around $100.00. Having a vinyl pool with a salt water generator and fill water with a CH of 50, keeping a bucket of cal-hypo makes sense. I still have plenty left over from last season as well as I don’t use much of it. Honestly I haven’t bought a single chemical so far this season now that I think about it…

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Why are you buying calcium for a vinyl lined pool? If the pool store told you to, that is an example of why we avoid them. Vinyl lined pools without heaters do NOT need calcium.

Otherwise, your noble actions to shop locally are appreciated.

Maddie :flower:
With our first pool more than a decade ago I was struggling for a few weeks with tinted water due to iron in it. (that was me misunderstand what I was told here, so no one's fault but mine). After a long conversation with Jack from Jack's Magic (and his lead chemist), his chemist pointed out that most pool chemicals assume certain levels of other chemicals, including calcium. I decided I would adjust the calcium to the recommended ranges, even if it doesn't matter in a vinyl pool. I still do.

Last edited:
i wish there was a family business we could buy from. we buy salt, tons of acid -- as we are Always high, it seems -- stabilizer and CH stuff. Oh and their bleach. i, too, try to use small biz whenever possible

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.