Buying a new pump - what to get?

Jun 3, 2017
Long Island/NY
Hi, I am not as knowledgeable as I should be when it comes to my pool. I'm a single mom and when something goes wrong I have nobody to really help me so I hope you can! The other day I posted on here that my jets were weak, skimmers were pulling weak and the PSI was higher than usual. I filled my pool up pretty high and backwashed and rinsed for a long time and it seemed to really help. Everything was great until... I woke up one morning and saw the cable box blinking so figured we lost power while I was sleeping. This happened 2 nights in a row to my neighbors as well... not sure if it has anything to do with this, but the next day I went to work, turned the pump on and when I came back home it was off. Hmmm... so i went over and tried to turn it on and nothing happened. I noticed that the on off fuse was in the off position. My kids swore nobody touched it. I turned it to on, figuring maybe whatever happened with the neighborhood power had something to do with it. I tried to turn the pump on, heard humming, saw the water moving in that tube on the pump, no jets and then it just turned off. The fuse didn't blow again. It just turned off. That happened twice and now it won't do anything at all. Do you think I need a new pump? I have no idea how old this one is but I moved in here 5 years ago.

Lets say I need a new pump. Locally my electric company is offering $150 or $350 rebates based on which variable pump you buy. There's a local store that is also offering an additional $350 gift card to their store if you buy the blue torrent variable speed pump. Does anyone know anything about it? My pool company doesn't think i should get it but I'm not sure if it's because they want to make money off me or is it really just a bad pump?

my pool is an IG 18x36, Hayward everything right now. I just bought a new liner and loop loc so I'm financially drowning here. The blue torrent will end up "free" because of the electric company's rebate and the stores gift card and the Hayward will still end up hundreds. What do you think?

thank you so much!!!!

First of all it would help to know what size and type of pump you have now, also the size of the filter. I'm not familiar with this product but it is listed as a Energy Star product and comes with a decent warranty. I'm also not sure about how your utility company runs there rebate program. Mine requires professional installation and calibration by one of there listed installers. I would do a little more research on this company and make sure if the local store sells it they back it up. Oh yeah nothing is free

HI Pool tech here. I do install VS pumps and to qualify for the rebate from the electric company is you would have to buy it from my store and have me install it with the speeds i put on it. Not all electric companies offer the rebate.
As for that pump i've never saw it before and it looks like a knock off of other pumps. In my opinion The best VS pump would be a VST-3050.

Now it sounds like your current pump has a bad capacitor. That's about a $20 Fix. That capacitor is what starts your pump. If you have a surge in your electric like your house blacking out. That could blow your capacitor. The symptoms would be a humming sound for about 4 seconds then a click and silence. This often pops the breaker. If you can send me a picture of your pump i could tell you what kind of capacitor you need.

Or you could call your pool company and instruct them to replace the capacitor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.