But what about the CC?

Oct 9, 2015
Niagara Falls
Hey All. I feel like I should know the answer, but I don't and need confirmation.

We opened a bit later after a warm spring with a cover failure at some point. Pool was light green, but opaque.
I immediately started the SLAM and have held the FC around 24* for the last 6 days.
The water is now crystal clear.

Now I was slamming at 24 because I usually have my CYA at 70. It's actually somewhere between 30 and 40 but I didn't make it to the store to pick up CYA, so I figured I'd finish the slam and while the FC was drifting down, I'd bring the CYA up. Anyway. I'm going to do the OCLT tonight. I got up super early this morning to check it, but then realized I forgot to check is last night and so I had no comparison. It's not loosing much at night though.

But the CC. The CC has been between 1.5 and 3 the whole time. So I can't finish the slam because it's not below .5. What makes the CC go away? Am I right in saying that the presence of CC means the FC is still breaking something down.

Note, I did find a section of wall that missed getting brushed and was dirty, so I gave the whole thing a THOROUGH brushing. But that CC.... someone educate me please.

Here's test results from about 2 hours ago

FC 22
PH (didn't test because the FC is 22, but pre-slam it was 7.2)
TA 70
CH 200
Salt 2600 (bags from Costco still in my car, just need to dump them).
CC 1.5
CYA 40? (today it looked like 30, on a bright sunny day it looks like 40). Either way it needs to come up at least 30

Not sure if this applies, but I put Pool/RV antifreeze in my lines, and normally blow it to waste, and blow it out of the returns (not into the pool), but do to a plumbing issue (a stupid mistake) I accidentally blew it into the pool. No idea what effect this has on the chemistry.

So do I just keep on slamming until the CC is down? The water clarity is night and day better, but the CC hasn't budged.

Thoughts?

That antifreeze will use up a good amount of chlorine. Chlorine and sunshine makes CC go away. CC means the FC is still working on something, like antifreeze, algebra or bacteria. Keep at it.

I don't think Antifreeze will cause elevated CC. It sounds like you are still killing stuff. A picture of your water (shallow end and deep end) will help us. TFP crystal clear is extremely clear water. Many think that they have achieved that level of perfection, only to be told "your not there yet".

Also, check for hidden algae, bottom drain, stairs, light, etc...gunk can hide from you!

CC means the FC is still working on something, like antifreeze, algebra or bacteria.

Thanks. I hate algebra in my pool. It's almost as bad as finite calculus!

It has been overcast, so maybe we just need some bright days.

Because I haven't raised my CYA yet, I'm thinking of letting my FC slide a little, the pool store is probably wondering why I buy CL every other day (pool store 12% is way cheaper than Walmart bleach)

I don't think Antifreeze will cause elevated CC. It sounds like you are still killing stuff. A picture of your water (shallow end and deep end) will help us. TFP crystal clear is extremely clear water. Many think that they have achieved that level of perfection, only to be told "your not there yet".

Also, check for hidden algae, bottom drain, stairs, light, etc...gunk can hide from you!
Yeah, maybe not 'crystal'. It doesn't have that borates sparkle (due to lack of borates!). As I said I did find an un brushed section, so that could be why. I have no stairs, ladders aren't in yet, scrubbed the returns and the drain, there's notuch else. But yeah, just wanted to make sure I understood the cc meant something was dying. I'll try to take a pic later, it's pouring out. (also it did cloud a bit after a good brushing so something is there. My judge is always 'can I stand at the shallow end and see the seams in the deep end'.

I think antifreeze will cause a very high chlorine demand (apparently not your issue). But I'm not sure about the production of CC. If the reaction between Cl and antifreeze = trihalomethanes, it could produce CC. Maybe someone who remembers chemistry could offer advice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.