Busted pump housing - Pressure side and excess air.

Jeff Lebowski

May 29, 2014
Virginia Beach
My Hayward has been plagued by excess air this summer. This air is an annoyance since it messes up the buoyancy of my Polaris vacuum. I added fishing weight to the monster and it fixed that....sorta.

- I tried running water over all the fittings on the intake side of the pump to check for suction leaks (thank you TFP) and had no luck reducing the volume of air in the pump intake basket.

- I tried a new lid gasket (on top of the basket). No luck.

Today I noticed the pump completely losing head pressure. It would suck air till it could fill the basket and decided to peek a bit more. There is a large vertical crack on the housing right where the impeller resides and some high-pressure water is shooting back into the basket side. Now I don't know if this is the ONLY culprit or just the straw that breaks the camel's back. Its about 3 inches tall and pushes a fair amount of water in the wrong direction.

So, I am prepared to purchase a new filter pump housing unless you guys know of a suitable alternative (underwater epoxy putty?).

Suggestions, please.

This is my filter housing. If needed, can anyone suggest the be$t place to purcha$e a new one? Just dropped 1400 bucks on a brand new Goldline Salt System and I am one of TPC's less affluent pool owners.

Thanks.

Mine looks like a Hayward SPX1620 AA but I don't know the exact size for the inlet and outlet fittings.407013CA-3346-4A85-9D56-51D3E2032376.jpeg

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.