Burst pipes/pressure spike help

kevinhandson101

Jun 30, 2020
Saint Louis, MO
I was looking at my pool equipment and to sum it up equipment wise i have a pump which runs to a diverter to either drain or filter water. The pipe from the filter runs to another diverter which either can go into the heater or not. I accidentally shut off one of the values and it completely cut of water circulation so my pool filter pressure spiked to about 25 ish psi. I realized my mistake right away and it wasn’t even more than 5 seconds I had it like that.

I am worried due to my anxiety that I could of bursted one of my pipes somehow. Does anybody know if that could have done that?

Welcome to TFP.

If anything would have burst you would have seen the water coming out. If there is no visible leak then you caught it in time.

25 psi is not high pressure. It takes over 40 psi before something will burst.

Welcome to TFP.

If anything would have burst you would have seen the water coming out. If there is no visible leak then you caught it in time.

What if it’s under the concrete. I forgot to mention I have a fiberglass pool about 15000 gallons. The flow stopped so pressure built up a built but nothing extremely high. My old filter used to run around 20 PSI even when clean and when i accidentally shut the value off it shot up to around 25ish. Would 25 psi even be enough to burst a PVC pipe? The valve was only off for a max of 5 seconds. EDIT: I just the saw the last bit saying it takes over 45 psi for something to burst! Thank you so much!!!

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.